Cheap Regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying another regulator so that I can have my 6kg co2 bottle in my garage with a reg permanently attached to it for force carbing etc, and a soda stream bottle in my kegerator with a dedicated regulator as well.

I currently own a Micromatic.

The kegerator gas will be turned on all the time on my serving pressure which is about 65kpa. I plan to not adjust the regulator settings on this ever. It would thus actually be good if it is hard to change the pressure on it (even requiring a screw driver). The regulator would need to be able to maintain the right pressure though once set, and of course not leak as it'll be on all the time.

The force carb regulator on the other hand will be mostly at higher pressures e.g. 250kpa, however the accuracy of the pressure is less important and leaking is less important as it will be turned off at the gas bottle when not in use (99% of the time).

With that in mind, I know the cheapo Ebay etc regulators are cheap and nasty, but in what way are they nasty? They may be perfectly suited to one of my applications above.

For example http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?mai...;products_id=32 is only $40

Or http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?mai...products_id=155 is $100 but dual output so I could have two different pressures in my kegerator, something I've been thinking about.

Anyone have any FIRST HAND experience on these cheapo regulators and their weaknesses?

I'm in a similar boat. Have a Harris 601 as my main reg now, but looking at a cheapy for my party keg setup. It's a pain to pull the reg off the main bottle, adjust for the party setup, then hook back up...

Cheers

My neighbour had one like that, the pressure would randomly fluctuate if he left it hooked up to the CO2. I suggested this one and he brought it and could not be happier.

http://www.kegsonline.com.au/category3_1.htm

That's a bloody good price for it.

I would go with that over the cheaper ones anyday.

But have to admit, owning both this one and the Harris, the Harris is my personal best.

QldKev

i have the el cheapo unit...only problem i have had is the adjustment..little bit squeaky and a little tight..otherwise ok..

Hmm I'm already sold on getting a cheapie.

Just wondering about the cheapie double.

Hey Mark,

I have one of the cheapies like in the first example you posted and have had no dramas with it at all. Only prob was the adjustment knob was a bit hard to turn as the pressure got higher. I'm now using it to force carb and have bought a Tesuco dual outlet reg. Have heard good things about them and thought the extra $50 was worth it. That said, I don't think you'll have any probs with the one you're looking at and it is screwdriver adjusted.

Cheers,

Swanny

I have a cheapy and just use it for force carbonating ( the good one is on the fridge) .
The only problem I had with mine was the pressure relief valve letting go at about 40 psi twice and the resultant loss of beer and flooded reg. Once I figured out what was happening I now force carb a bit longer at 30 psi and everything's sweet.

When I wanted a dual reg I was thinking along the same lines. I was happy to have a cheap one yet I also wanted to have something that might last a while for me. Therefore I went middle of the road with a TESUCO (Dual) from My Beer Shop and I have never looked back. I love it!!...

Yep I'm with the middle of the road Tesuco too from mybeershop/cnc cupcake world (same difference but cnc is on ebay). No problems at all.

Hopper.

I have a cheapy and just use it for force carbonating ( the good one is on the fridge) .
The only problem I had with mine was the pressure relief valve letting go at about 40 psi twice and the resultant loss of beer and flooded reg. Once I figured out what was happening I now force carb a bit longer at 30 psi and everything's sweet.

i have that cheap reg linked to ($40) came with the kegerator and had the same issue at around 40psi but had no flooded reg
it seems fine sitting at 15psi etc, but it has a cheap ball valve on it and if you wiggle the valve handle it leaks....

i have another better one but, well maybe better but they all seem to work about the same ?

My neighbour had one like that, the pressure would randomly fluctuate if he left it hooked up to the CO2. I suggested this one and he brought it and could not be happier.

http://www.kegsonline.com.au/category3_1.htm

Kegs Online have a single ($80) and a dual ($200) regulator. They also sell a dual regulator joiner for $17.95.

Why would you pay $200 for the dual regulator when you could buy two singles & the joiner for less?

Kegs Online have a single ($80) and a dual ($200) regulator. They also sell a dual regulator joiner for $17.95.

Why would you pay $200 for the dual regulator when you could buy two singles & the joiner for less?

1 - Don't have to mod it yourself
2 - The dual one sold is probably an official double one, the adapter they sell may be an unofficial one, who knows.

question as I think im missing the point. Why dont you just use the inline 'secondary' regulators along with your existing primary.
IE set your primary at 250kpa with a T piece one side of the T going to your disconnect you use for force carbing then the other side goes to your secondary reg for serving pressure (or to a manufold with multiple different serving pressures to style)

Nice, is there a thread on them?

Do you just put some MFL john guest fittings in them?

I'd be better off getting them than getting a double regulator but I'd still have two regs so that I can run two different co2 sources at the same time in different rooms etc.

Yeah something like that I have mine on my manifold (id get you pics but since my chesty shit it self and I've started bottling again I've packed all my keg gear away)

That's a bloody good price for it.

I would go with that over the cheaper ones anyday.

But have to admit, owning both this one and the Harris, the Harris is my personal best.

QldKev

Add me to the Harris fan club.

Back