Cheap pH meters, I got what I paid for

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefiddy

Reaction score
I paid $22.40 for a cheapo pH meter from HK, which arrived in the mail a week later.
Surprisingly, it works really well.

I calibrated it to pH 7 with the standard green buffer you find in labs (not the supplied sachet).
In pH 4 buffer it needed little further adjustment (it was 4.03).

I also compared it to a quality lab pH meter and found solutions of pH 3 and pH 5 to be within the stated accuracy of ±0.1 pH (it was a touch lower in both cases).
The only difference was the little green pH meter needed longer to get to a stable reading.

After 5 days or so I had another crack at it. Similar results to above, except the cheapo pH meter was way out of calibration initially.

If you're after a pH meter, I'd strongly consider one of these. Just be sure to calibrate it before use.

Capture.PNG

Just to point out, when you say "I got what I paid for" in terms of buying something cheap, normally that means it turned out to be shitty. Title is kind of confusing. :p

If you havent got the buffering solutions anymore, what can you calibrate it in?

slash22000 said:
Just to point out, when you say "I got what I paid for" in terms of buying something cheap, normally that means it turned out to be shitty. Title is kind of confusing. :p
But you were expecting a cheap pH meter to be shit, as was I. I meant it literally though: I paid for one and got one.

Cosmic Bertie said:
If you havent got the buffering solutions anymore, what can you calibrate it in?
You can buy them on eBay for $2 posted, or your LHBS may stock them.

Plus +/- 0.1 is really not accurate enough for beer brewing.

Cheers Ross

It's better than strips, and good enough for me. If the target range is 5.2 - 5.4, why is ± 0.1 not accurate enough?

The main reason I bought this was for cheese making. Brewing and other things just sealed the deal.

Back