Cheap pH meter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
Any opinions on this pH meter for $29.95AU? Keen to know the difference between this one and one which costs over a hunj.

i bought what looks like an identical one couple of weeks ago, 10 bucks on Fleabay
Delivered in a couple of days
only used once but seemed to work

Be careful of cheap pH meters as they are often only good as a guide. If accuracy is what you are after, then you should save up another couple of months. In the mean time, low pH strips (range between pH 4-6) are a good option and likely more accurate.

Do a search on "pH meter" and you will find many different opinions on cheap pH meters. This is a good short thread though http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/89292-ph-meter-recommendations/

The main differences between one that costs more and the one you have linked is;

Linked device states,
Resolution: 0.1 pH. (The more expensive ones tend to have a better resolution 0.01)
•Accuracy: ±0.1 pH (20°C), ±0.2 pH. (accuracy of 0.01 or 0.02 for the more expensive ones)
•Life: approx.700hours of use. (more expensive ones tend to be able to replace the sensor when it is no longer effective)
•Calibration: manual,1 point.(not included) (most are two or three point calibration devices [more accurate] and usually come with the calibration fluid included)

Had one of these and it wasn't great but i didn't treat it very well. In my opinion you would be better off getting something with 2 point calibration like a hanna

Coodgee said:
Had one of these and it wasn't great but i didn't treat it very well. In my opinion you would be better off getting something with 2 point calibration like a hanna
+1 for two point calibration.

mtb said:
Any opinions on this pH meter for $29.95AU? Keen to know the difference between this one and one which costs over a hunj.

I had one, worked great for a dozen or so brews. Buy like most ebay shit died.

If I'm going to use measuring devices, I'm going to spend as much $$$ as I can afford for good ones. If you're someone who bases brewing process decisions on measurement, you want those measurements to be correct, so you can make the best decisions. If you're someone who brews by thumb, feel, the wind, etc., this consideration is largely irrelevant. Depends on which sort of brewer you are. I don't think half arseing either direction is much benefit at all. Granted, it can take some time to accumulate quality measuring equipment, so go for the most crucial ones first. For me that order is thermometer, hydrometer, refractometer, pH meter.

As the others said its about as good as or slightly better than strips. It will get you started but wont last long and you will end up buying a better one further down the track. I have some pH strips you can have if thats any help.

I have the HM Digital PH200 which is IP67 dust and water proof:
http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/ph200.html

I bought it after I read the water book.

I've used it for my last 6 brews and the quality improvement has been night and day (along with some other improvements).

It doesn't have dual point calibration (only single point), but can be dunked (which it has survived a couple times). It gives a quick steady result.

If I did it a second time round I would try the Milwaukee MW102 with dual point calibration.

I'm currently waiting on some PH 4 calibration solution to arrive and will find out how well its survived so far (after last brew I knocked it off the brew bench, gee did it bounce!).

When you get one remember you will need to get some ph 4 and 7 calibration solution and depending on the brand storage solution, mine likes being cleaned in demin water, dried and put back in its cap with storage solution rather than sitting out for an hour or so.

Maybe start with a cheaper and when you break it/it shits itself buy a decent one.

Great advice. Thanks gents. I'll invest in a good one right off the bat, I know I'll be making use of it

Back