Cheap Lpg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Mrs DA recently started work at a reasonably large hardware store.

I have just recieved a text from her saying we get free gas refills :D

Just thought I would share that with you all :p

C&B
TDA

Good for you! It's amazing how many gas cylinders you are about to "own" :D ;)

You'll of course have to get creative with excuses for why it's a different gas bottle getting filled every week .... ;)

Nice work

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Mrs DA recently started work at a reasonably large hardware store.

I have just recieved a text from her saying we get free gas refills :D

Just thought I would share that with you all :p

C&B
TDA
Do they stock stainless fittings too?

Well TDA, I am envious of that, in fact, I have just finished my first 45kg bottle that was commissioned full when I fired up the new brewery and it did 24 brews before running out.
That works out at $2.83 per brew based on the, then purchase price of $68.00 for the 45kgs.

In the new year my brewery is getting 2 Nasa Burners, a Kirby temp control for my herms for mashing and a 90 litre kettle. It's frame is also getting cut down so that the HLT and the Tun are on the same level thus eliminating the ladder.

With these mods I will be able to do 50 litre brews for what I consider to be the same operating cost, not including the extra ingredients, as what it is costing me now to do 20 litres.

But having said all this, it still wont be as cheap as getting the gas for NOTHING. :(

Cheers

This is a question for the Adelaide brewers.

I need another 9kg cylinder. I went to get one of mine refilled and they said, no, its expired :(

Someone offers a reasonable deal for a bottle + gas. Any ideas who?

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
This is a question for the Adelaide brewers.

I need another 9kg cylinder. I went to get one of mine refilled and they said, no, its expired :(

Someone offers a reasonable deal for a bottle + gas. Any ideas who?

Cheers
Pedro
[post="55260"][/post]​

Morning Peter,
Try going to a servo with some pimply kids behind the counter and see if you can swap it over, my thinking is they may forget to check the date on your bottle. I don't remember them ever checking the date on my bottles when i swapped them over.
Anyway its worth a try and all they can do is say no but you might just walk away with a brand new one.
They ussually check the date when refilling but i really can't recall anyone checking the date at the BP i go to swap it over if i need a gas refill after normal working hours. I have replaced old gas bottles for new a few times but they still had a month or two to go but as i said i don't recall them actually checking the date.
If they asked at the counter if its in date say yes and they might not even bother checking if they do check then its not like they are gunna take your to the principals office for a good canning.

other than that i have seen them for $45 full at the cheapeast that was at BOC on Mcormack road cavan and some other BBQ/gas place.

As for TDA top work when do we all drop our bottles off? :super:

Jayse

I had the same experience as jayse at a "Gas N Go" place. Gave them my crusty expired bottle and for the cost of the refill went home with a nice shiny new one.

jayse said:
Morning Peter,
Try going to a servo with some pimply kids behind the counter and see if you can swap it over, my thinking is they may forget to check the date on your bottle. I don't remember them ever checking the date on my bottles when i swapped them over. Jayse
[post="55270"][/post]​

I think that was what happened when I got it filled early this year (it expired last year :) ). Now someone has actually checked it. I can swap it for a swap and go bottle, but I don't particularly want one of them.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulfbrewery,

Stratco are the ones who always do the $40 full of gas ... or was it $30 ... can't remember. That's where I got mine from.

Last time I was at BOC they said it was cheaper to buy a new, full bottle than to get your old one checked and re-stamped.
I think it was around $40

Boots said:
Gulfbrewery,

Stratco are the ones who always do the $40 full of gas ... or was it $30 ... can't remember. That's where I got mine from.
[post="55277"][/post]​

Yes, well, it may have been once :angry: . Called Stratco, $49.95 for the cylinder and $24.20 for the fill. Might have to look at the catalogues as they come out now and look for a special.

I think Big W are around the $30 mark and it is only $20 for a refill at my local servo.

Cheers
Pedro

For all of the SA brewers who want a cheap gas bottle.

The latest Stratco catalogue has 9kg bottles with "free first fill" for $39.95. Offer ends June 26th

Cheers
Pedro

Just thought I'd give this a bump for an update... and 'cos I'm almost out of gas in my 9 & 3/4 year old bottle.
Quick circuit has my local Mitre10 as the best so far at $39.95 for a new bottle and $24'ish for a refill.

Does anyone have any good cheap gas places in Adelaide, preferably southern 'burbs or hills for me or any other updates for folks looking in other areas in Adelaide?

Cheers.

if you have an old bottle, take it to swap-and-go like Bunnings or a servo and change it for a full new one.
BBQ's Galore do a 4th or 5th (i forget) fill free, so they may be a few bucks within the cheapest prices, but take the percentage off for the free fill, and it's a pretty good deal.

From their website http://www.swapngo.com.au/how.htm it's OK to swap an expired bottle with swap'n'go.

Thanks for that. I thought I was going to have to do something dodgy with a pimply faced kid bordering on illegal.
It begs the question of course, can you get a Swap-n-go cylinder filled, no questions asked, at your local hardware store/BBQ's Galore etc.
'cos if it's all above board $31-odd dollars for a full Swap-n-go followed by $24 refills starts to make reasonable sense... and dollars.

Thanks for doing my leg-work. Again.
Cheers.
:beer:

I was curious myself. I have a 4.5kg bottle as a backup and was looking for possibilities such as trading it up to a 9Kg bottle.

I wonder what this bit means???

You can swap any brand and any size of BBQ bottle at SWAP'n'GO.

I wonder if my 4.5Kg bottle becomes a 9Kg bottle simply for the refill price?

Back