Cheap kegs - what's the catch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snails07

Reaction score
I'm going to make the jump to kegging and I am just sorting out what I need.

I've seen these super cheap kegs - https://www.keg-king.com.au/19l-second-hand-pin-lock-keg.html
And also these cheap ones - https://www.keg-king.com.au/19l-second-hand-ball-lock-keg.html

How can a keg be 30 bucks? Is it too good to be true?
I understand that the kegs in both these links would need new seal kits whcih are pretty cheap, but is there anything else? Will I pay through the nose for other connections or couplers or something like that down the track?

Cheers

I'm going to make the jump to kegging and I am just sorting out what I need.

I've seen these super cheap kegs - https://www.keg-king.com.au/19l-second-hand-pin-lock-keg.html
And also these cheap ones - https://www.keg-king.com.au/19l-second-hand-ball-lock-keg.html

How can a keg be 30 bucks? Is it too good to be true?
I understand that the kegs in both these links would need new seal kits whcih are pretty cheap, but is there anything else? Will I pay through the nose for other connections or couplers or something like that down the track?

Cheers
Its a little bit of a gamble what you may get. Some of them have dints in, handles sometimes have chunks missing. Mainly the look of them that is the difference. I did get 1 out of 8 that i cant use as one of the posts has been threaded. Cant tighten the post back on, just using it as a transfer keg now.

Its a little bit of a gamble what you may get. Some of them have dints in, handles sometimes have chunks missing. Mainly the look of them that is the difference. I did get 1 out of 8 that i cant use as one of the posts has been threaded. Cant tighten the post back on, just using it as a transfer keg now.
Just remembered i got 1 where the lid in the centre was too dinted to seal up. Cost an extra $15 to replace that. Still miles ahead of buying all new though!

Just remembered i got 1 where the lid in the centre was too dinted to seal up. Cost an extra $15 to replace that. Still miles ahead of buying all new though!
I've got a bunch of kegs for sale on facebook market place, s type kegs with connectors and adapters to ball type disconnects. Used for years, no problems Gerni needed to clean and modified socket to remove stems but all good. Got a 50 lt keg to go with the 5 sankey kegs.

Keg-land is even cheaper :)

https://www.kegland.com.au/19l-second-hand-ball-lock-keg.html

Personally I would go ball lock over pin lock, purely as it seems to be what most people have and so if you go to swaps or need to change parts with friends it's all compatible.

I have bought second hand kegs from both Keg-King and Kegland and have never had a problem, yes they are a bit dinged up, but still hold the right amount and have still had pressure in them when I collected. I haven't even replaced seals, but I really should do that.

All my kegs have been bought used. As the others say some have dents and the rubber parts might have a crack or 2.

I usually clean them thoroughly and fit a new seal kit and they are up and running.
I did have one with a damaged lid lip but was able to straighten it out ok in the end.

Only reason I would ever swap them for new ones is if I win the lottery and want everything to be shiny and new in the brewhouse :)

I bought three used kegs last year, fortunately all are in good nick but still replaced all posts & gaskets. All good but yes, it's a gamble as to what you'd get. In saying that, old kegs appear to be of better build quality than the new offerings, but I could be wrong.

I'm also looking at kegs and weighing up 2nd hand vs new. Is it fair to say that is probably best to avoid the pin lock style as they are not as popular and so the connects etc later on might be harder to come by? Kegland for example have stopped selling parts for them. The 2nd hand pin lock ones are very cheap.

I'm also looking at kegs and weighing up 2nd hand vs new. Is it fair to say that is probably best to avoid the pin lock style as they are not as popular and so the connects etc later on might be harder to come by? Kegland for example have stopped selling parts for them. The 2nd hand pin lock ones are very cheap.
Well it's fair to say they are not as popular.
The connects and spares might be slightly more expensive but there are a LOT of pinlock kegs out there so you should be ok.
The worst part of pinlock would be if you want to do keg swaps etc. As I think ball lock is the defacto standard now.

Probably safer to spend an extra few bucks up front and get the ball lock ones just for peace of mind.
My small kegs are all ball lock.

I have swapped posts on pinlock kegs to ball lock, not sure if they are a standard thread I may have just been lucky.

I got a really banged up one from kegland last batch, bent lip on the post and rubber falling off everywhere. other than that they have been good.
The cheeky peak ones with new lids and posts is good value for $70

I have purchased second hand with only one coming with mangled bails, but my supplier sent me a new lid when I sent him the pics through of how it arrived. All had some residue (one even had a "Litre o' Cola" in it still, pardon the super troopers pun ;) ) but I hose them out, change O rings on posts, and lid, half fill with hot water and Sodium Perc, run some out the outlet to get it in the pipe work, then sit 12 hrs up right, shake, 12hrs on lid, I do this pressurised in order to test seals, run the solution out the post in order to flush and clean the liquid dip tube and post, then hose out, inspect and repeat if necessary.

tenor.gif

Hi all, This may well be worth a go for me to see "if I like it", can some one with experience tell me how crucial is the pressure relief valve? (They say some don't have one) - most videos I have seen make seem to make use of the pressure relief valve - any opinions?

PS they do say "ring pull" pressure relief - I am not sure if there is any other kind?

Hi all, This may well be worth a go for me to see "if I like it", can some one with experience tell me how crucial is the pressure relief valve? (They say some don't have one) - most videos I have seen make seem to make use of the pressure relief valve - any opinions?

PS they do say "ring pull" pressure relief - I am not sure if there is any other kind?

I have/had a couple of kegs with no relief valve. It's not crucial to have one, but it makes quick carbonation easier as you can "burp" the keg.
It's easier to try and reduce air content by filling with CO2 and opening the PRV to get rid of some of the air.
If your lid doesn't have one, you can always buy a new lid or just use the kegs for things that don't need it.
The keg lids I had with no PRV are now used as kegmenters,

Oh as for the PRV types - some of mine are ring pull others use a little flip switch on top - both do the same job.

You can upgrade these to ring pull. Ring pull are better as you lock them open by pulling up one the ring and turning it 90 degrees.
Thanks for the info, but the flip switch does the same thing - up=open down=closed. For my methods they work just as well.
Your mileage may vary. We all do stuff a little differently.

Cheeky Peak use Fastway who have now misplaced my brothers kegs somewhere in Western Australia, he lives in Tasmania, pretty close.. idiots.

Back