Cheap? Fridge Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macr
Jeez, I feel pretty dumb asking where ya got ya Tobins thingy now! In my defence (that may make me look even dumber), I havent heard of Tobins before, I figured it was a brandname or something!
Thanks for the link
Trent

No worries Trent. I wasn't trying to make you look ignorant, I just thought it was funny. Hope this improves your brewing experience :beer:

Bilph said:
I'm happy to be corrected, but I have a feeling that the Jaycar unit is for heating, not a cooling nor a fridge controller.

Jaycar Thermostat

I bought one a few years ago, and it's been okay to activate a hot box to keep the brew warmed to a preset temp.
They may have another cooling thermostat in stock, but I couldn't find it on the website.
[post="62703"][/post]​

The Jaycar unit you are talking about is an old unit. The new one as detailed in this months Silicon Chip mag is a dedicated Fridge freezer temperature controller and can do heating or cooling. It has just been released in in a kit format for $39.95 and they obviously havent updated their website yet.

Wobbo

Trent said:
Macr
Jeez, I feel pretty dumb asking where ya got ya Tobins thingy now! In my defence (that may make me look even dumber), I havent heard of Tobins before, I figured it was a brandname or something!
Thanks for the link
Trent
[post="62827"][/post]​

Hey Trent,
Don't sweat it mate - the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked ;)

macr said:
Wobbo said:
Saw the kit today in Jaycar for $39.95.

Cheers
Wobbo
[post="62595"][/post]​
And 38.95 for the Tobins one, which is already made ande has a greater range. Mind you, I couldn't imagine needing upto 30 degrees little alone 40 :eek:, but down to zero is useful.
[post="62606"][/post]​

can you tell us were Ican buy the Tobins controller Iam in Adelaide

Not as cheap but another option is a carel or dixell controller, I fitted a carel to my mates fridge so he can use it as a wine cellar/fermenting fridge.

The carel is about $130 with K type thermocouple but is fully programmable and has a serial interface for remote monitoring and programming.

The Dixell is very similar but only costs around $90 from Kirby's.

Bilph said:
I'm happy to be corrected, but I have a feeling that the Jaycar unit is for heating, not a cooling nor a fridge controller.

Jaycar Thermostat

I bought one a few years ago, and it's been okay to activate a hot box to keep the brew warmed to a preset temp.
They may have another cooling thermostat in stock, but I couldn't find it on the website.
[post="62703"][/post]​
I opened one up (I don't have one) and it had changeover contacts, IIRC not mentioned in the booklet.

I would be concerned about using this one inside a fridge/freezer, IMHO the tobins is the go. It is very similar to the Fuji Koki menionted at http://brewiki.org/TemperatureControl which I have been using successfully for fermenting, CC'ing, chilling, incubating starters etc for well over a year.

Back