Cheap Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
Just went to Bunnings innaloo store in WA. They had 25L water containers on special for $13.95. Basically a 25L fresh wort container. They're food grade, and come with a standard fermenter tap. Great for using as a secondary :)

You could even use it as a primary for smaller brews if you drilled a hole in the lid and put an airlock in it.

Kook, I had a few of these left over from camping in the Kimberley and they make great cheap secondary fermenters and racking vessels. I did as you say and drilled a hole in the lid just right for a grommet. It's much more airtight than my main fermenter. The only down is the raised ridge on the bottom, but I just tip the jerry when racking from it and it's no hassle.

i would not use one for a fermentor it would be hard to clean .just try and clean one with the brown krauesen ring left when u cant get your hand in it maybee a bottle brush

Thats one wierd thing I've noticed lately.

All the good liquid yeasts I've used, the krausen ring around the top has just rinsed off with a hose, no need for scrubbing. However, with kit yeasts, the krausen sticks like buggery and is really hard to scrub off.

Jaz you are right. Only good as secondary and even then you gotta rinse as soon as you empty it. I bent a big bottlebrush to get into the corners but not easy.

kook: not having thought about it a great deal.. but yeah.. i think the same thing..

Back