Cheap Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi all,
I dont mind buying most things from the local home brew shop, but the price of fermenters seems a bit steep to me. Does anyone know where i can get fermenter suitable containers from for a reasonable price in Sydney. I found a shop in vic that does them cheap if any of you live there. But Id have to get 48 of them for them to ship them to me, but for $17 each im not sure if id go to that trouble, but its still about 1/2 the price of all other places ove seen.

If i can drum up ( sorry bout the pun) enough suport for these in Sydney ill think about ordering a heap of them, otherwise after a plastic store which does them cheap here.

Cheers, Rob

Have a look at bunnings. They have carboys for water storage that should be fine.

All ive seen at bunnings is the water drums with the 2inch lid. Wasnt sure how cleaning these would go, and theyre only 20L

I've seen the Willow brand ones. 25 litre capacity. Blue from memory in Big W. Cant remember the price but i think about $20.

cheers
johnno

Were they teh large mouthed lid or the small one? Or does it matter much? I was only concerned about cleaning issues.

Cheers, Rob

berto,
they have the same lid as the fermenters you get with a coopers kit. Just a smaller size container.

cheers

johnno

ive only ever seen the blue willow 25l round at one bigw. they had stock of the other size jerry's (5, 10 & 20l) so they either just got stock or dont sell much of them. the round was either 20 or $25.

checkout craftbrewers? on victoria rd in roselle. they had 30l carbouys for $22 from memory. needs either a tap or plug, so all up roughly $25.

the ones at bunnings are more suitable for storing dried malt, as the top is a pain to get on / off, is usually red or black, as opposed to the clear, easy lids of other fermentors.

Once i went to the bucket style fermenter I'll never go back to the srew lid ones again. The bucket ones are a dream to clean in comparison.

Also the 2 piece snap taps too, no ring of infection like the "twist" type taps

Anyone know where to get the snap taps in Adelaide?

Snap taps, Try a camping or caravanning shop

Cheers
Ausdb

Ive got all bucket style at the moment, but my bunnings doesnt even carry those buckets. Which is a pain in the ass for me. HBS wants over $30 for a bucket.

Hi, Snap taps you can get them fromGRUMPYS or JOVIAL MONK.

There used to be a shop on EBAY called Lionell Plastics he sold fermenters to mere mortals like us for $15 for a 30 L. Look on white pages or yellow pages in NSW for him if he still sells.

Linz said:
Once i went to the bucket style fermenter I'll never go back to the srew lid ones again. The bucket ones are a dream to clean in comparison.

Also the 2 piece snap taps too, no ring of infection like the "twist" type taps
Yeah, I'm a bucket fan too. I was just trying to answer the question. B)

Unfortunately I think homebrew shops don't have a very large margin on the things that they sell. I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and support the shop than have the guy close down and have to travel a long way to get to the next nearest homebrew store. $30 for a bucket is a little unreasonable, but I just snagged a 27.5L plastic standard fermenter for about $24, which I don't think is too bad.

Where can you buy the bucket style fermenters in Brisbane, can someone post some pics as I haven't seen one before.

No pictures, but most homebrew shops sell them. I bought one from Annerly Home Brew, can't remember how much it cost.

Alternatively you could keep an eye out for a food grade 25 to 30L bucket and turn it into a fermentor.

Back