Cheap Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
Buying paint on the weekend, I stumbled across very cheap fermenters at Bunnings. They are sold as 25 litre jerries but they are exactly the same as one of my fermenters without the grommet and airlock. I think it was Willow brand. Round, with a big lid and opening, a rubber O-ring, a tap and moulded handles.

Only $18!

And not marked homebrew !
Makes a difference

I think you'll find they're sold as water storage tanks

Yes.
If you're worried soak them in a mild Drano solution, rinse thoroughly and sterilize with diluted bleach.

Guy.

They will have a 2 inside a triangle if they are food grade , and you will find most plastics sold in OZ are.
Good score for $18

I saw these a while back.. got all excited and then took the lid off.. the fumes nearly took my head off... i decided the price difference was less than one batch of brew, so it wasn't worth having one batch go 'plasticy'

have seen lots of these "water containers" in camping supply shops. never did check the price, or smell the inside for that matter!
joe

We were in Bunnings last weekend - they also flog those white pails for about $9 - they have multiple ribs at the top and are perfect for bucket in bucket mashing - all you need is to control the temp and drill a shitload of holes in the top pail to make the false bottom.

It's amazing how everything in a hardware store suddenly becomes a handy bit of kit for home brewing?!

The gardening aisle provided me with the kit for the in-line racking filter - Thank you Mr. Pope! (And GMK for the original idea)!!

Cheers,

TL

I didn't look for the 2 in the triangle but I'm sure they are food grade given that they are sold for water storage. It is the same kind as the cube I use for conditioning. Had a good look inside. Didn't notice any plasticy smells.

My brand new fermenter smells like plastic anyway. It's the same as my other 2 which are fine (but I actually have 4 now :)). I think it must go away pretty quicky with a wash and an air.

Going to fill it with beer this weekend :)

JD

Back