Cheap Ebay 10L urn Herms result.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcarter

Reaction score
Howdy,

Had a crack at the cheapie pictured below for my herms set-up. Circles E-bay for ~ $80.

Lasted about 9 months and 20 brews before the element tripped the breaker. Urn internals not the best. Probably not worth the repair effort.

My advice you get what you pay for :D.

mdqGYWbMi_3wZPgLdOJNzCQ.jpg

I had a $40 Aldi 8.8l 2200w urn that looked virtually identical that lasted 2 years and probably 50 brews, and as far as I know (at least the bloke I sold it to hasn't come back and tried to ram it up my backside) it's still going strong.

I've also had very good luck with the much maligned Handy Imports stock pots.

You pays your money and you takes your chances!

Should of got a birko :)

I've got a 5l birko so fingers crossed, we'll see how we go, my old HERMS is out on sorta permanent loan.

I keep thinking that if the element shits itself I'll just install a stick element into it, dunno if that's a viable option for you?

I managed to wrangle a birko for $85 + postage.

Just happens the listing was wrong and it's a 20L.

Bargain.... or is it? I'll probably put more copper coil in the loop to ramp quicker.

Ah brew gear always more money.

I almost won a 20L Birko at 5:45am this morning off eBay... $68.25 it went for. Would have been PERFECT for heating strike/sparge water and step mashing :(

Back