Cheap Biab Bag Rest.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
3 x stainless bolts.
3 x stainless washers.
6 x stainless nuts.
1 x 31cm perforated pizza tray.

23022012809.jpg

23022012808.jpg

My last cake rack wasn't big enough, and I burnt a hole in my bag :(

My search just changed from a bigger round cooling rack to a suitably sized pizza tray. Thanks for the great idea! :)

how shiny is that urn??? thats like a kids hall of crazy mirrors...please tell me you've never brewed in it???or I will have to review my cleaning methods

I had considered this but worried about the non stick chemical release... Also ended up with an ekeggle with a 30cm opening and a 40cm internal diameter, so I'm still working on my bag rest design, but so far it consists of a 450x450x1.5mm piece of stainless

I commend you on your effort and your job well done.... but;

101253.jpg

I bought one of these for 6 bucks at one of those asian discount stores. Sits over the element perfectly...

Just sayin! :)

In my case my "element" is a stupidly high powered nasa burner under a pretty thin SS pot - scorching is definitely an issue, even out towards the edge of the pot.

I too am a tad concerned about the teflon coating, but i'm thinking I should be able to find a non-coated one..... and if it doesn't have holes in it already: that's what power tools are for

Surely if it can be used to cook a Pizza at over 200degC it should be fine to use in wort? Unless you drilled holes for the bolts instead of using the perforated ones? Just my 3c (inflation)

how shiny is that urn??? thats like a kids hall of crazy mirrors...please tell me you've never brewed in it???or I will have to review my cleaning methods

That's had about 20 or so brews through it.

Great idea. I think it is good how the bag will sit on a nice flat bottom to spread the grain evenly. I've always been worried with too small of a rack means a lot of grain is sitting in pockets down low. This has given me ideas for another project.

QldKev

Rusting is a pretty realistic issue with teflon coated mild steel. These trays are made cheaply and not designed to be submerged in boiling wort for an hour or more. It may not be a problem, but I'm sticking with SS. I searched everywhere for stainless pizza trays, but couldnt find any. eBay has serving platters, but they're a bit thin - not a problem if a few more legs are installed. However, in my case, I was able to get that big piece of 1.5mm thick SS for $25, which is almost the cost of the trays anyway.

I use a keg with an element so I use a false bottom upside down with stainless steel legs welded on. Bag sits nicely on false bottom. Once finished I take the false bottom out and it fits nicely into a 20l pot and then place bag on it to drain. Just my 2 c

I use a keg with an element so I use a false bottom upside down with stainless steel legs welded on. Bag sits nicely on false bottom. Once finished I take the false bottom out and it fits nicely into a 20l pot and then place bag on it to drain. Just my 2 c

My design will have a simila double-use. Given the 30cm opening and 40cm ID, I'm going to cut the circle in half and hinge it, so it will fit in a keg rib above the element and then to drain, it will sit ontop of the opening. Cheers.

Back