Cheap 20l Jerrican

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
I was in at Big-W today and saw that they have a number of different sized jerricans that can take a tap and fermenters up to 25L. They are all that blue colour and are in the camping sections. Ended up pick myself up a 20L jerrican for $18.

Jye

Cool, thanks for the heads up Jye, was thinking of getting some cubes this week so I will check them out.

Hoops

I thought they were a bit of a good find because I found it hard to find a 20L which can take a tap...they dont have them at Bunnings. I have a 25L I got ages ago which is used as a secondary and too CC in but havent been happy since it has alot of head space.

Its also worth checking out your local disposal store or camping stores. I can get the blue 25L cubes for $12 from the disposal store near me. Exactly the same as i have bought from my LHBS.

Before i get flamed for not supporting my LHBS I bought 1 from them in the past but they no longer generally stock them so i had no choice.

Supercheap auto is the place to go. A 20L one (which is actually 23L) will set you back about $12

i saw a camping store had them for $27
and i got one from a plastics joint in ADL for $15
damnit! i didn't try supacheap, they were next on my list - but the guy at the plastic store gave me a mofo coffee cup (that'd hold more than a stubbie) and a fridge magnet :/

:excl: WARNING :excl:
Just because there's a bung screwed into it, doesn't mean that you can put a tap straight on. I was racking my last lager to my new Big W Jerry Can when I said to myself, "Self, you fool, you forgot to replace the bung with the tap!". Then I said, "That's OK, once she's full I can put the lid on and ease her over, remove the bung, pop on the tap, and Bob's your auntie."

When I removed the bung, I noticed that although there was a threaded section for the bung, the inside end was blanked off. You need to drill a hole through... Please learn from my stupidity.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

When I got my jerrican home I screwed the tap on and thought when I need the can jerrican I will drill the hole. Then I thought, but what if I forget, so I drilled the hole straight away.

If I was you I dont know if I would have owned up to that :p

ok i'll be honest, i've fallen for that.
it's only because i always squirt some cleaner through the tap and i wondered why nothing was coming out..
<grab drill>

I got my Willow ones at Kmart for $13 each on special last year.

johnno

I have done exactlty the same tangent. Used my kitchen sizzors to create a hole becuase i did not have the correct drill bit.

I use a spade bit to drill them out.

I've also found that on some they are missing half to a full turn of thread and a tap won't screw in enough and will just pop out when it is full. Luckily I found this out when it was full of sanitizer and water, not beer.

Beers,
Doc

Back