Charred Element, Burnt Taste, Sad Face

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I did a 5 step BIAB mash and a 120 minute boil (due to going over volume with step water) and burnt the crap out my German Lager in the process.

I now have 2 questions:

1.Would a .5 absolute micron filter remove the taste or is it simply doomed?

2. I am planning on reusing the yeast. Ordinarily I would dump a new wort straight ontop of the old yeast cake, but should I pop my yeast rinsing cherry this time (to avoid burnt flavour carrying over)?

Cheers

I did a 5 step BIAB mash and a 120 minute boil (due to going over volume with step water) and burnt the crap out my German Lager in the process.

I now have 2 questions:

1.Would a .5 absolute micron filter remove the taste or is it simply doomed?

2. I am planning on reusing the yeast. Ordinarily I would dump a new wort straight ontop of the old yeast cake, but should I pop my yeast rinsing cherry this time (to avoid burnt flavour carrying over)?

Cheers
I had an issue with an immersion heater that burnt the crap out of a rye beer . Two years on it still has that burnt flavour .

1. I think it is doomed

2. Yes, wash those yeasties after this one.​

Out of interest, what type of element did you burn

What do people do to burn their mashes?

I've used 2 different grimwoods and while I've had the occasional bit of burnt grain stuck to the element, I have never had a burnt flavour come through to the wort or beer.

Iralosavic - I would say if it tastes burnt, then it's there forever.

I did a Porter a while back - cold steeped the dark malts overnight planning to add to the mash. Before doing that I figured I'd heat it up with the burner as it was in a pot. Did that and stopped stirring for a sec to do something and the malt stuck to the bottom and burnt without me knowing until I poured it in. I didn't want to toss it as it was a reasonably expensive brew. At first it had a burnt flavor, after a month settled a little, after two months it was drinkable. These days rather than keg it I'd probably bottle it and leave for 6 months.

Had problems with a roggen and a dunkelweizen burning onto my crown concealed element. With the dunkel had modded thebypass and burnt out the element, tipped that one as it tasted burnt. Both of those were biab.

Since converting the urn into a braumaster type have never had the elent burn, i think because no crud in the wort.

Strangely the last brew which was 20% rye the element kept cutting out as the safety kicked in. Still met eob targets though and the element was clean at the end, so no idea why it occured.
Cheers
Sean

Thanks all for your replies.

Kev: It's a Keg King element. I consulted kee about the situation and he couldn't help offer a view on how/why it happened, but he recommended cleaning it with a wire brush or rust removing drill bit, which I did and it worked a treat. I had formerly tried soaking in warm PBW solution, but that did absolutely nothing.

Manticle: I didn't burn the mash as such. I BIAB, so the water to grain ratio was something like 5:1 at the lowest point, although I suspect the burning occurred at more like 7:1 during the boil, as I have a habbit of tasting the mash at various stages towards the end and didn't detect any burning taste (nor smell). There was a lot of hop crud and hot break material in the boil - The last 5 litres was so thick you could choke a cow on it. So I'm guessing, free particles stick to the element during the boil and caramelise; then the caramelisation of the element attracts further solids and then proceeds to burn the crap out of it all.

I will be using my hop spider to see how that helps reduce charring next time.

This is the only mash I have performed that resulted in burning, it's also the first BIAB mash I've done involving a protein rest. I did use a stovetop pot to jump from 55c to 63c though, as I had heard that directly heating a mash immediately after a protein rest could increase the likelihood of charring on the element. I guess this is a topic in itself.

Rename the recipe Rauch Lager. :icon_cheers:

You said five step mash. What were the temperature rests? I think I may know what happened.

You said five step mash. What were the temperature rests? I think I may know what happened.

In @ 55c, 10 mins
Infusion to 63c - 10 mins
Ramp to 68c - 50 mins
Ramp to 72c - 10 mins
Ramp to out @ 76c

And as I mentioned, the boil was prolonged to nearly 2 hours due to stuffing up and having too much water.

It's a medium-high density element, so my guess would be the protein rest.

On my system I now run a HERMS and a RIMS, I will not fire up the RIMS until the wort has clarified as at prot rests temps I get the same issues.

QldKev

Sigh at my Docs GA sitting in my fridge atm that tastes like burnt fart. Im just struggling with the idea of pouring it out :(

Almost the same scheduled
55-65-78
And the KK element
Bag in liquor while ramping

I would love to blame anything else but i still think its the protein rest with wheat in it as nothing else has had the issue

In @ 55c, 10 mins
Infusion to 63c - 10 mins
Ramp to 68c - 50 mins
Ramp to 72c - 10 mins
Ramp to out @ 76c

And as I mentioned, the boil was prolonged to nearly 2 hours due to stuffing up and having too much water.

Right here's what happened.

Protein rest, ends up looking like cereal floating in milk. There has been no starch conversion yet as you are not into the sacch range. So you turn on the element to ramp up to sacch rest and all that cloudy starch burns onto the element and turns into char. You get to 63 if the element hasn't cut out by then (my Crown had shit itself around 60 degrees so I stirred everything up a bit harder and it came on again). Edit - of course I had no way of checking the state of the element apart from draining the whole mash. As if, hey.

You continue on but although the element is working, it's a blackened thing that is just pumping burnt flavours into the wort.

Now think of this, the multi step mash is a German invention and they always did it by decoction, removing a portion of the grain and boiling that then returning to the main mash to ramp up.
Since they are now mostly doing hochkurz type infusion mashes, they mimic this by adding boiling water between stages to ramp.

They do not ramp by applying direct heat via element to the mash itself.

The latter works great once you have reached sacch temp but if doing a protein rest I'd start with a thicker mash and then use boiling water to ramp to the 63 degrees, Deustch style.

I'm still cleaning char off my element <_< - and yes the wort got chucked.

Edit: I'd bet London to a Brick your problem was set in stone in the first ramp, nothing to do with a long boil - which I do regularly.

Makes sense. My immersion element gets chucked back into the HLT between each rest (schedule above is my regular schedule) and on the rare occasion I get burnt bits on my element, I clean them off before the next step.

If your element is fitted and not protected, I can see how this might happen.

So this would happen with any grain bill and not just a wheat blend then?

Yep. If you have a milky-white liquid in the mash tun (which you would under sacc. temps) then the proteins would be more likely to burn. Think about chucking butter into cold pan, and heating it. It will eventually separate into the clear 'liquid' and the burnt protein bits. As an aside, that's why I use Ghee for cooking these days. Doesn't tend to burn...

Cheers!!

I think it is biab problem, avoided by omitting the protein rest. When i biabed nearly always had tosoak the element overnight. With the conversion it just takes a wipe and its clean,no matter what mash schedule.

Thanks all. I did use an infusion step from the protein rest to attempt to avoid the burning, but it seems that the burning eventually happens regardless. Pity I had to learn the hard way, but at least this thread may help spread the news to other BIABers - don't do a protein rest if you have a fitted and exposed element!

Being a miser (and not a rich one either), I'm of two minds regarding keeping or discarding the beer. I have only tasted a green and uncarbonated sample. It may be "tolerable" once it is mature, despite having an underlying burnt taste. Anyone else tried drinking a burnt lager before?

Seamad: bull terriers are great dogs, but what do you mean to confer with your statement "with the conversion"? The conversion of what?

Sadly dogless at present,,have had bullies all my life, great people dogs.

By conversion i mean to a braumaster style unit got some piccies of it in the blackdog brewmaster thread. No problems with step mashes. Last brew mashed in after breakfast, took the kids to school,came home and kegged two brews then pulled the mash pot, all unsupervised,makes brewday easy.
cheers
Sean

Latest posts

Back