Chapman Valley Show Geraldton W.a.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiddler

Reaction score
To all people in the Geraldton W.A. area the Chapman Valley Show is once again holding a Home Brew Competition. It will be on Saturday the 8th of September.
This year prizes have been donated by Latitude 28 (a local pub) $100, IGA $50 and Category prizes by gryphonbrewing.com
Being a small Competition there is only 4 categories. Lager, Light Colour Ale, Dark Ale/Stout and Wheat Beer.
Judging will be loosely based on BCJP guidelines.

All other info can be found on the flier below. Any brewers thinking of entering feel free to let me know. At this stage I have a handful of confirmed brewers entering the show, it would be great to have 15ish brewers, wish us luck.

Drew

View attachment Home_Brewers_CVS.doc

Very reasonable entry fee

Yeh It is. The comp is attached to an Agricultural Show with other stalls. Best Fruit and Veg, Best Cakes, Yada Yada. A lot of people enter all of the fruit and veg categories and the payment just flowed on to things like the Beer and all other categories. You also get $4 for winning a category :lol: and a certificate with your name on it. It is more about bragging rights than the prize money, unfortunately the steward can't win.
Drew

Wow being in geraldton for the last few years I never knew there was a compition for home brewers it's good to see
Mind you I have just started brewing again, where do people get there supplies in geraldton ? At the moment I'm traveling to Perth to purchase
Regards Fellow geraldton resident

I recall Durlacher st iga had a large selection of brew stuff other than that try the brew place on floors rd there somewhere for advice. I think it's a u-brewit shop but he'll be able to help. Chris

Yes IGA has some K&K stuff but not much for an all grainer. U Brew it has closed down as he didn't really have much of an idea how to make beer but could follow a recipe quite well. I will drop you a PM later West Aussie Brewer. I am always trying to meet more local brewers. Are you thinking of entering the CVS?

Wow being in geraldton for the last few years I never knew there was a compition for home brewers it's good to see
Mind you I have just started brewing again, where do people get there supplies in geraldton ? At the moment I'm traveling to Perth to purchase
Regards Fellow geraldton resident
All grain gear needs to come from Perth. It's has kits and stuff. Both durlacher and 5th. U brew it is shutting down if not already but won't sell stuff. May do when he closes down fully.

Thanks guys yeah I found the K&K ones that's what I have down at the moment
As for the CVS drew not to sure prob not as I'm only on my first brew back after so long. Just got to get the old brain working again ;)
Crd yeah u brew it is closed down now I've still tried calling his number that's on the fence to see if he is selling any brewing equipment but no reply so far.
I'm just surprised after so long I can still use the kegs :) guess I should get em clean before I run out of bottles lol
Anyway guys looking forward to catching up guys and share a brew just gotta make it lol
Also thinking about going from K&K to grain what's everyones thoughts Worth it or not I know know you can't get grain supplies here in town so may stick to K&K.
would also be interested in people's actual brewing processes if anyones keen to share

Once again thanks for the warm welcome :)

I'll probably get shot down here but I've always done k&k for years and just started doin some extract brews but I think I find all grain too hard to get my head around. Too involved. I like to throw it together add some hops follow a recipe and my beer is amazing according to me and me mates hahaha. Go to wo in bout hour

Lol too slow. Get back to work drew :)

Slow arvo HAHA.
Don't worry if your first few beers are average, enter them anyway. Either way get out to the show and meet some like minded brewers.
Don't be fooled you can make some really good beers via K&K. I like AG because I can change little things to tweak a recipe to my taste buds and I enjoy the process of making my beer.

Good luck for 2moro everyone. Spewing I can't make it. Have a few beers for.me.

The Chapman Valley Home Brew Comp has been run and there is a winner and some sore heads.
There was 16 beers to judge from 6 different brewers. The judges commented on this being the most successful in their short 4 year history. I will get the word out earlier next year and hopefully draw a bigger crowd.
Big thanks to our sponsors, Latitude 28, IGA Wonthella and Gryphon Brewing.

Wouldn't be complete with out some pictures.
CVS_John.jpg
Lead off with the winner. John entered 2 stunning beers taking out Light Ale with 21/25 points and Dark Ale with 20/25 points.
The runner up, Bruce, couldn't be there. His beers were also very good taking out Best Lager.
Commiserations to Triple "B" who's beers didn't rate a mention. LOL. He did take out Best Wheat Beer by a narrow margin.

CVS_Enteries.jpg
All the entries lined up before the Public were invited to taste them and pick a public favourite.

CVS_Public_Choice.jpg
A rough looking bunch picking the Public Choice award. This was won by Craig Nelson with a LCPA clone.

CVS_Judges.jpg
A couple of the judges, I think the other was in the loo after tasting all 16 beers without a stop.

It was great fun, See you all next year.

Drewy

The Chapman Valley Home Brew Comp has been run and there is a winner and some sore heads.
There was 16 beers to judge from 6 different brewers. The judges commented on this being the most successful in their short 4 year history. I will get the word out earlier next year and hopefully draw a bigger crowd.
Big thanks to our sponsors, Latitude 28, IGA Wonthella and Gryphon Brewing.

Wouldn't be complete with out some pictures.
View attachment 57025
Lead off with the winner. John entered 2 stunning beers taking out Light Ale with 21/25 points and Dark Ale with 20/25 points.
The runner up, Bruce, couldn't be there. His beers were also very good taking out Best Lager.
Commiserations to Triple "B" who's beers didn't rate a mention. LOL. He did take out Best Wheat Beer by a narrow margin.

View attachment 57026
All the entries lined up before the Public were invited to taste them and pick a public favourite.

View attachment 57028
A rough looking bunch picking the Public Choice award. This was won by Craig Nelson with a LCPA clone.

View attachment 57027
A couple of the judges, I think the other was in the loo after tasting all 16 beers without a stop.

It was great fun, See you all next year.

Drewy
Well done to the winners. Now Drewy - you tasted them all and word on the street (twitter went viral) is that one particular beer was your favourite ..... lets see who did that one .... hmmm ;)
cheers
BBB

Well done to the winner and the runners up.
Whats with all the hats and beanies, cold up your way ??
How did Drews brews go ?
Nev

Drew got equal second, which is to be expected given the judges were XXXX drinkers :lol: . Mine were way down on their list (as expected) given the depth of my brews and their heathen palates ........
Good fun though.
Cheers
BBB

Being a steward I pulled my entries from the final prizes. I could have taken a first in a category but still would not have taken first overall from John. His beers truly deserved to win. Even tho the judging was suspect :ph34r: I think the overall prizes went to the correct people, My thoughts only.
Yes Triple "B", your lager was my personal favourite of all the beers I tasted and I tasted all 16 of them thoroughly.

It was a great day but I am determined to make it better next year. Hope to see everyone back on board then.

Being a steward I pulled my entries from the final prizes. I could have taken a first in a category but still would not have taken first overall from John. His beers truly deserved to win. Even tho the judging was suspect :ph34r: I think the overall prizes went to the correct people, My thoughts only.
Yes Triple "B", your lager was my personal favourite of all the beers I tasted and I tasted all 16 of them thoroughly.

It was a great day but I am determined to make it better next year. Hope to see everyone back on board then.
So what was the break on K&K to All Grain ?
Would be nice to know so I can sort the appropriate prizes.
Nev

Back