Changing hop schedule for IPA into late hopping only

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesl73

Reaction score
Hi

I've been reading a bit recently about doing more late hopping in the schedule rather than your usual approach.
The idea is that you have a brew that has the same number of IBUs only you add the hops later in the schedule to provide this and it also provides more aroma. You obviously need more grams of hops to achieve the same IBU if you add them in later.

I was curious to know what the difference would be like so I was thinking of doing a small brew with a stock standard American IPA recipe I have, mash for example 14L and then split this into two kettles of 7L each and in the first kettle do the 'standard' hopping schedule which is:
15g of centenial at 60mins = 31 IBU
15g of cascade at 20 mins = 16 IBU
13g of cascade at 0 mins
For a total of 47 IBU, hop total = 43g

And in the second kettle do more of the hops later in the boil, an example would be:
7g of centenial at 60mins = 15 IBU
12g of centenial at 20mins = 15 IBU
8g of cascade at 20 mins = 9 IBU
10g of cascade at 10 mins = 6 IBU
6g of cascade at 5 mins = 2 IBU
13g of cascade at 0 mins
For a total of 47 IBU, hop total = 56g

I was wondering what others thought about doing this in terms of what they thought the outcome would be and whether it might be a worthwhile exercise (because it's obviously more work) and if anyone has done something similar?

Thanks

If you really want to compare and contrast I'd just do one 10 min addition for all 47 IBUs, get a real whack of flavour and aroma.

Disclaimer, my APA I do 40 IBUs, 20 @ 30min and 20 @ 10min, along with 1g/l dry hopping.

Certainly worth trying. As above move your late additions to be all inside the last 10 mins. I did so on my last IPA and was pleased with the results, mind you had a lot more hops than the one you are considering. There are a number of good articles on this method including one by Zanisheff.

I like to do little experiments such as this, part of the fun, and it will give me a chance to compare/contrast with the 'normal' way of doing it. The Jamil article was exactly the one I was reading. I was also listening to a few of his podcasts and a lot of US brewers when talking about their recipes and they were leaving almost all of their IBUs to the end of the boil. I was recently in the US and tried a few of the beers they were talking about and the IBU count for an American IPA was high but it had this really good smoothness about it (and aroma). Hence my thoughts of doing it.
I've just made another hop schedule change on my Beersmith recipe and moved everything to 20mins or less so I'll definitely give it a go. Thanks.
Will eventually post back my results but it will be a while of course.

I've experimented in this. I'm no judge worthy other than my own brewing. The beers I've made with no early bittering value to add a LOAD of late hops doesn't work for me. I'm now just thinking that an early addition is important for the whole brew boil flavour thing.
Even if its only 1 third of the IBU. It still needs that early addition but that just my feeling.

Haven't tried removing the bittering addition entirely, sounds extreme! Also haven't tried using late hops to deliver the bulk of ibu's on anything apart from IPA's and APA's. Might give it a go on something else soon though and see how it goes.

I brewed the Electric Pale ale and that was a cracker! That beers first addition is at 20 min till flame out.

I'm guessing the great thing about all cube additions is that your not going to lose any of the aromatics to the boil.

Check out the electric brewery website, Kal has his electric pale ale with all late hopping plus the hop stand ale with all whirlpool hops (read the notes in the thread for the hop stand)

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/recipes

I've made all of the electric brewery beers and all of them were beers I would make again.

No affiliation blah blah yaddah yah

I no chill and go a bittering addition and all the rest at flameout. Maybe dry too.
You state your cascade @ 0 has no IBUS - are you chilling immediately?

I've started to leave behind no chill as I've generally found my beers to be a bit too bitter and have a certain harshness. I put this down to the the fact that the wort stays hot for a long time causing additional bitterness.
I'm now using an immersion chiller. So yes, chilling will happen pretty much after flame out.

Back