Champange Bottle re-seal or 'Cork' type stopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi I have searched on ebay and can only find those stainless steel chrome type, I dont think that are a great long term seal...Anyone know where I can find something to re-cork or seal champagne bottles or if you have used a product that works. BTW the "bubbles" by yellow tail come with a locking plastic 'cork', they work well, If I could buy those would be great.

I have found out the name of the resealable plastic corks, called zorks but I think are only sold to bottlers by the thousands.

Also found plastic corks, are they any good... $6.95 x 30
Thanks

I use crown seals, if you are just wanting to seal them up and not actually wanting a cork that is.

The caps are bigger and called Tirage. You need a different bell for your capper too.
Most home brew store sell the supplies

There are three common approaches
Tirage crown seals, same as foe beer bottles, just bigger and more expensive and you will need a special bell for your capper Link (just the first one that came up on google).
Plastic stoppers, like a cork but you can just hammer them in and wire them down with a cage, another Link, (again just first Oz one to come up).
You could go for proper corks, but you will need a special corker, cages and corks all of which can get pretty expensive.

If you are doing a fair number, I would go for the Tirage Crowns, for the odd bottle go with the plastic plugs (they can be reused).
Mark

Thanks - will use plastic - I have a hammer :) - not buying more gear.... I only have a few bottles I use for extras from the keg fill... cheers

Trustyrusty said:
BTW the "bubbles" by yellow tail come with a locking plastic 'cork' ... called zorks but I think are only sold to bottlers by the thousands.
I came across those things over Xmas and thought they were awesome -- here's a picture I found online for the folks playing at home:

304260_10150369286262223_607287222_9810120_1307200917_n.jpg

There are a few brands using them now -- might be worth shooting off a few emails to see if any would be keen to sell a couple hundred zorks which you could use for a mini bulk buy. I don't have the time for it myself, but I'd be keen for a few dozen if it kicked off.

Great, thank you... interesting I would think you need a heat seal for the bottom part ? But it comes off when you open the first time and you don't really need anyway... works fine without cheers

They have 10 for 8.50, cheaper than buying one bottle to the zork , says you might need a large capper... I reckon you can just take off the plastic seal component and use ,,, (comes off anyway on first open) works well... I have had a few bottles sealed for a while... no blow offs yet

I've used tirage caps for years. Never had an issue.

I've used plastic "corks" and crown seals, and the caps are much easier and cheaper. You will need a bigger capping bell, but they aren't that expensive.

Crown seals will be much cheaper in the long run that just about any other sealing system (even if you reuse your corks, you'll still go through a lot of cages to hold them in).

JD

Latest posts

Back