Cfc Stored Long Term In Iodophor Solution?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
If I kept the cfc in a solution of iodophor then any thoughts on whether this would
  • 1) keep the cfc sterile between uses?
  • 2) cause any issues with the brass fittings, copper or plastic tubing in the cfc?

I'm not too sure about the metallic reaction issue, but the Iodophor will only remain sterile if the CFC is clean and free of germs when you fill it up with Iodophor. And as you probably already know, the Iodophor will dissapate with time anyway.

With my CFC, I flush with boiling water and then run Iodophor or Oxonia through it and then let it sit in the corner of the cellar and on brewday I flush with boiling water before I use it to keep it dust/insect/aliens free!

Cheers,
TL

Hey Rubes,
I suspect that iodophore will react with the copper in the long term. I do as TL, clean and drain after use (Get as much water out as possible).
Clean and sanitise immediately prior to next use.

You occasionally here of brewers in colder climates who store their CFC full with sanitiser in the shed. The freezing temps freezes the water, it expands and splits the tubing. (Certainly not going to be a problem here in Adelaide though)
cheers
Darren

I clean out my CFC then fill with idophor sol'n and leave it full. I may be wasting my time but it makes me feel good. I have witnessed no deleterious effects on the components.

Tony M said:
I clean out my CFC then fill with idophor sol'n and leave it full. I may be wasting my time but it makes me feel good. I have witnessed no deleterious effects on the components.
How have you looked? Even water would corrode copper over extended time.
I do know that iodophore kills rubber and etches plastic in not to long a time (weeks)
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Even water would corrode copper over extended time.
Jeez Darren, we've all heard the stories about Adelaide water but I never thought it was that bad. ;) :lol: :D

Idophor is mildly acidic isn't it. In that case i would think that it would clean the copper out when it is used in it for an extended period of time wouldn't it.

Just a matter of deciding whether the idophor is cleaning ie postive or dissolving the copper ie negative

Will

Latest posts

Back