Cfc Sterilising

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
:beer:
Hi People
Ordered a Convolutus Maximus from Morebeer on 25th October surface mail @ 37.2USD for postage. Arrived this morning. Unbelievable must put Lotto on. I plan to do a brew tomorrow. How and what do I use to sterilise this beastie before use and after use. Please help with info I thought I had plenty of time to research this subject as I was told surface mail would take 8 to 12 weeks.
All help very much appreciated
Cheers Altstart

I only have a home made CFWC but this is my process...

I run hot (boiling) water thru from the kettle or HLT for a while then drain.
I fill with Iodphor and let it sit while mashing doing most of the boil.
I drain the Iodophor just before use.
Takes very little extra time.

After I've finished the boil and cleaned the kettle, I just boil up some more water and run thru to rinse it out. :chug:

I pump my wort through a convoluted CFC. To sterilise, I recirculate boiling water through it back to the HLT. then just swap the disconnect over to the kettle & turn on the cooling water when ready to pump wort.... Do the same process at the end too clean everything.... Thus utilising HLT water to flush out the last litre of wort to the fermenters before beginning the recirculation...

Asher for now

I usually sterlise mine with boiling wort for a while before I turn on the cooling water.

Ash. Do you get some wort back into your HLT? Or do you flush to the drain a t the end?

:beer:
Thanks Guys
I have obtained some Idophor what dilution rate should I use.
Thanks again
Altstart

Might aswell post how i do it here too, its a pretty much a effortless process same as most other people. I heat enough water in the HLT to mash the grain plus another 10 litres, to that 10 litres left i add a couple cap fulls of napi san and gravity feed it through the CFC then just before the boil finishes i just hook up the mains water tap to it and rinse. After the cooling i just rinse with the tap water again.
Works for me without any probs at all.

the ten litres i run through the CFC i collect in the fermentor iam going to be using and clean that at the same time. only thing with napi san is be sure to rinse very well, cold tap water works fine for rinsing for me.

Anyay thats how i do it.
Jayse

altstart said:
I have obtained some Idophor what dilution rate should I use.

The stuff I have is 1mL/L of water or 10mL (cap full) in 10L.

I also do what Asher does, 15mins of circing hot water from the hlt prior to chilling then at the end the contentes of the HLT are flushed to the drain via the CFC, then another quick blast of tap water through it.

I first flush with tap water, then I fill with iodophor and leave whilst i am boiling.

While the wort is boiling, I reheat a small batch of water in the hlt to boil ( so as to sterilise ) , then use this to flush out the iodophor.
Works for me.

vlbaby.

My HLT is not near the boiler and everything is gravity fed.

If the CFC hasn't been used for a while, I make a solution of napisan up in a bucket with a tap on it. Run this into the cfc. When it is running, plug the outlet up with a cork, so the napisan stays in there and soaks for 10 minutes. Flush with clean tapwater, then when I whirpool the wort, fill the CFC with iodine. The iodine is run out when the wort is ready to run out.

Straight after running the wort out, the CFC is flushed with clean tap water.

IOdine, I use Betadine which is 10% povodine iodine at 2 ml per litre, contact time is 10 minutes.

While the boil is happening, I fill a 10 -15 Litre container with ortho-phos solution, and just put the inlet hose, and outlet hose for my march pump in it. It cycles the water non-stop for however long I forget about it. This then sanitises my pump, hoses and cfc.

I used to stuff around with pumping through from one conainer to another, and then sending it back to the original till one day I actually used my head :blink: , and just stuck the outlet in with the inlet.....

After use I run bleach solution through then flush out with tap water and drain for storage. Then before the next use I recirculate about 3-4 litres of boiling wort through before running the cooling water, then bleach after use again and so on.

Rob, I think, (sure the metallurgists will correct me) that bleach will corrode the copper pipe, causing pitting and infection problems.

OK. Thanks Darren - didn't know that. Guess I'll need to get some orthophos instead. I haven't had the CFC long so hopefully no damage done.

Darren said:
Rob, I think, (sure the metallurgists will correct me) that bleach will corrode the copper pipe, causing pitting and infection problems.
[post="88128"][/post]​

Actually, iodophor has a similar effect. Try leaving some copper pipe in normal concentration mix of iodophor for a day or two . I garantee it will have removed all the tarnish off the copper and have left behind a residue. I sometimes wonder if this is a good thing, or a bad thing?

vlbaby.

Back