Centennial Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
A while back, I posted about a back palate feature of a beer that spoiled anotehrwise tidy brew, and that it was reminiscent of the cardboard like flavour of oxidation. I got some good suggestions and advice from the board, and had conluded it was likely to be HSA (not doubting my techniques could do with improvement :p )

But visiting a local (reputable) HBS the other day, I had a taste of a brew hopped with Centennial, and there it was again. Except this was an intentional use of the hop to impart the flavour, and not reminiscent of the brewers technique introducing HSA! I would almost bet my lefty that the tastes were indistinguishable. It was my first introduction to Centennial hops and certainly doesn't inspire me to use them (not to achieve this feature anyway).

So this got me thinking. I'm not doubting that my mongrel brew was a result of me and not ingredients, but of Centennial is a similar but higher alpha hop to Cascade... has anyone else had this Centennial like taste from overhopping with Cascade?

Hi Ant,

Cascade is a very poor rough hop that is often used in excess and imparts a very nasty dry astringent aftertaste following a rather pleasant upfront taste. Basically the Pride of Ringwood of America :D

I have noticed the same sensation with other American hops.

True noble European and English hops do not give that roughness.

If you have a desire to use Cascade try a smoother true bittering hop at the start of the boil and add the Casade only for flavour and aroma.

Steve

I'm finding that aftertaste you describe becoming more evident after about 4 months or so in beers bittered with chinook, and after about 8 months the aftertaste is almost medicinal, but I am pretty sure its the hops. But I still like Cascade. Chiller, what hops are you suggesting would give a more smooth bitterness, to go with late cascade additions? Something like N Brewer?

well my latest apa i did to many late additions of cascade and i think it ruined it a bit next time im cutting it down

Hmmmmm I will sometime reasonably soon be getting a parcel of US beers, including SNPA which has cascades. Be interesting to see if I get any unplasant tastes from the Cascades, don't anticipate any.

Also Bigfoot, Little Kings and some others. . .

Jovial Monk

Back