Cellar Mix

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
There is a local pub (O'maille's Pub) in which serves a couple of James squire varieties and a have been to many pubs in which with my first taste of their beer you know that they use cellar mix and is quite off putting as I find that it some how ruins hop flavour and creates unwanted creaminess in beers which are supposed to be lighter bodied.... Am I just fussy and paranoid or do other people notice it too?

I've never picked a draught beer as being dispensed with Cellarmix, I would love a side by side comparison though!

The main reason I say this is that just down the road another pub also has the jame's squire Amber ale on tap and tastes excellent and quite like what you would get in the bottle but O'maille's version seems to be extremely creamy, low carbonation and an undesirable flavour.... I have also found this when using cellar mix for pale ales and lagers with my own beers.

yes i find this often and do not like it at all, pretty much ruins the beer.

have a whinge to the staff/manager.......

Don't rule out beer line cleaning regime as a culprit contributing to off/lack of flavour. There are places that only clean their lines weekly, some do a full flush and purge nightly with a weekly chemical clean. I have been out of the industry for a fair while but during the ten odd years working pubs and clubs not one place cleaned their lines in the same way, some were good some were a lil lazy, and some were real OCD about their beer lines. Just food for thought.

Back