Cellar Mix

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott70

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just joined the forum and it has some great info. I was wondering what methods people use to carbonate their kegs when you are using a co2/nitrogen mix ( cellar mix) for stouts etc. Do you carbonate( low) using co2 then dispense with your cellar mix or just carbonate using the mix? I have a guiness tap and I'm going to get a nitrogen regulator and gas bottle.
cheers

Hi Scott, I find Lindbrew 30 is good for guinness style stout. It gives you the creamy head, if you know a publican maybe you can buy the contents off him, as pubs pay no hire charge per month on the lindbrew 30 F size bottles.

But failing that their $88 to purchase and $8.90 per month to rent the bottle .... good luck hunting.

DS

thanks sud. what's the best way to carbonate the kegs?

Hi Scott
I have found that BOC Cellamix55 was very slow and reluctant when it comes to force carbing. After doing the big shake, rattle and roll I kept the pre-cooled keg at 40 psi for about 2 days then reset the pressure to the high end of the usual dispensing pressure, about 20psi. This was using a comet 500 reg and a swingtap without a creamer. I found that the gas would not be absorbed into the beer as easily as straight co2, and the high dispensing pressure was needed to keep a good head on the beer. Things may be different with another reg and a creaming nozzle, but I went back to co2.

Back