Cellamix 55

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad the Pale Aler

Cereal Killer
Reaction score
The gas is due to run out and have'nt sorted the fire extinguisher that is sitting in the corner. I have been using cellamix 55 for a few years and wondered if anyone has done a back to back comparison with straight co2, I mainly brew British style ales and stouts so the 55 is well suited but seems a bit slow to be absorbed into the beer. Any thoughts?

Personally I'm not a fan of nitro beers.

Although it adds a nice creamy texture to the beer, I find it seriously impedes the aroma, and masks the flavour as a result.

With pure CO2 I find the flavour is a lot more exposed, mainly due to the fact the aroma isnt masked.

If you're brewing british style ales you'd be much better trying natural carbonation in my personal opinion. When I get back home and start brewing again I'll be naturally carbonating all my british style ales. They dont need much carbonation anyway :)

..by natural carbonation you mean secondary fermented in a vessel as opposed to forced carbonation.

Quiet GL ;) Infact what I'm suggesting is very much against CAMRA policy. They dont allow CO2 cask breathers (which I think is ******* stupid).

Yeah I mean secondary fermentation in the vessel :)

I intend to clamp (seal) the end of the dip tube in a couple of my cornies, then drill some holes in it around 5cm up from the base of the dip tube. That should leave more than enough space for the yeast.

Rather than adding more wort for the secondary ferment, I intend to transfer to the keg before fermentation has finished. I'll leave it for a few weeks in the keg (sealed) at 14 degrees, then use low pressure CO2 to pour.

It'll take a bit of experimentation to get it all right but I figure it'll be worth it.

Goat said:
carbonation snob !
haha trolls :D

I only intend to do this for my english styled ales. It really does make a difference IMO. No bubbles, but you still get head retention.

APAs, IIPAs etc, I'll still stick to forced carbonation. I dont mind a little bit of visible carb in them.

Latest posts

Back