Ccing Esb Pislner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stebas

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

First time on these forums, hoping I could get some advice.

I'm thinking of putting on an ESB Pilsner Fresh Wort with some WLP802 i had lying around.
I've been reading around some threads about cold conditioning the brew after fermentation is over, and would like it give it a go. I'm only new to brewing and usually just keep it in primary, although I've started bulk priming, but I want to try out cold conditioning.

After I've reached the F.G. what's the general rule of thumb for CCing, how long and at what temp?

Thanks in advance.

BTW I'll be bottling, not keggin g the brew

Hi Stebas,
The rule of thumb around here would be as long as ones thumb.
I would say 2 to 4 weeks.
The main reason to transfer to secondary is the get the beer of the primary yeast cake/junk.
Secondary will result in a clearer brew. There is always a trade-off though. The longer you leave it, the less yeast will remain in suspension.
cheers
Darren

Hi Stebas

For Lagers I keep in secondary for two weeks @ 12.c and then move to 'cc' for two weeks @ 0.5.c. then rack to bulk prime and back to 12.c for bottle ferm. As I understand it a temp of 0.5.c will put the yeast to sleep until it's time for the bottle ferm process when the higher temp will wake it up to work with the priming sugar. As Darren says longer is better.

Hogan.

Okedoky, thats pretty cool, thanks guys.

So I'm guessing I should rack it to secondary before CCing.
I got a second fermenter that I've used for bulk priming, but I read you should rack it to something that has very little air space above the brew. The second fermenter, when I rack it, would have a good few inches of air above the surface of the brew. How much air space is too much?

I also read basic jerry cans are good for ccing the brew. Seeing I'm probably going to have the empty fresh wort tub, would this suffice?

Cheers for the feedback

Stebas said:
Okedoky, thats pretty cool, thanks guys.

So I'm guessing I should rack it to secondary before CCing.
I got a second fermenter that I've used for bulk priming, but I read you should rack it to something that has very little air space above the brew. The second fermenter, when I rack it, would have a good few inches of air above the surface of the brew. How much air space is too much?

Yes Stebas - rack to 2nd and then move to cc.

A small head space on secondary is said to reduce the risk of nasties entering the wort. This does not matter greatly if the primary ferm was NOT allowed to go to FG - therefore there is still Co2 being produced after the wort is transfered and this pushes the nasties out the airlock. If FG has been reached in primary and there is no ongoing fermentation in secondary, the head space could become home to contaminated air. Personally I would'nt worry too much about it.

Hogan.

Back