Castle Hill Show Competition 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mark has a good point above about having comps in regional areas, to increase the pool of judging & steward experience, and more exposure might get others interested in sitting the BJCP exam. There would be no issue if there was an official State Leader who presides over the operations, regardless of venue/club doing the hosting. That way efficiency is maintained, aspects such as sponsor prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, BOS, and Champion placeholders are negotiated (yes, prizes, as almost every comp organises), plenty of notice is given to rally the troops who may need to travel, subsidised lodgings are offered for intercity volunterrs, and results are collated in an efficient manner.

Standardised reform is the key to a successful future. :icon_cheers:

Sounds like you're volunteering :icon_cheers:

maybe its time for the state comp to come back to the state major city rather than a regional area????

thems_fighting_words.jpg

:icon_offtopic: Typical city slickers - always picking on us poor country folk .... you leave the country for the big smoke, inhale all those fumes and think you should run the world!

:unsure:

Hi all,

Thanks for anyone's and everyones efforts on putting on the comp.

I noted that Barl's indicated that he had is result sheets already.

Are results going to be available at my local HB shop (where I dropped off my entries), or are they going to be emailed out ?

Thanks for any answer.... and in forward payment for said answer, here's my recipe for my Triple that was HC (two years in the cupboard helped smooth out some of those early flavours and probably dropped the bitterness 10 IBU to make a much more drinkable beer !)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=694415

Cheers,

Lucky

(Will)

Hi Lucky

those who were there on the Sunday judging or stewarding got their sheets back then (saved me work later on). All judging sheets were also sorted and the show people are going to send them out. I am not sure if they have done that already but if not it should be early next week.

I am still working on the prizes but will get to that this weekend I hope.

Looks like a job well done fellas.

Is this comp open for brewers outside of Sydney?

I am fairly new to brew comps, and looking over the results I had a question about how the rankings work?

Say take Strong Ales and lagers.
1st place entry 126 - 82.5Pts
2nd place entry 146 - 87.5Pts
3rd place entry 108 - 86.0 Pts

I think I am missing something, not sure how the ranking works?

Must have been some absolutely cracken beers too at those scores, well done to the brewers in any place.

Fear_n_loath

in each category the top four beers, went in to a mini best of show as they were judged across minimum of two tables with two judges at each.
hence why the scores in the top 4 doesnt reflect the best score as you have pointed out.
its open to anyone who wants to enter. if you want to get your beers there for next year they will be judged. its always the same time of year roughly. although you might want to check with stuster as to the planned dates for next year.

Thanks mr 1.6km, I may even find a bottle for you somewhere

Received my penknife, pen torch and T- Shirt, whimsical but all appreciated.

Received a great box of prizes from Keith and the Hunter Beer Co. Three tremendous bottles of beers (will be hard to wait a year or two to drink the Wee Heavy), a beautiful litre glass, cap, bar mat etc. All greatly appreciated.
A big thanks to Keith and all the other sponsors, as well as Stu, Heather and all concerned with organising the comp. :beer:

Nice one. Lucky you. Photo?

For those waiting for their sheets I apologise if you are still waiting by your letter box. It seems that the show person helping us with this has not been clear about the importance of sending these out ASAP. I was told they had been sent out today though so I hope you get them either tomorrow or Friday.

Photo? I will send you one. Do you want autographed? :D

Yep. Collector's item I think. :lol:

I was more thinking of you with the loot. :p

Just got my results in the post today. Great judging comments again guys.
Cheers.

Well, i just got back from a big day of brewing out at the Australian Brewery at Rouse Hill, which was my prize for being overall champion in the recent Castle Hill Show.

What a great day! A big thanks to Neal, Kevin & Dan for putting up with me getting in the way all day, i hope i didn't slow your production down too much...

The Australian Brewery hotel complex is, for lack of a better word, ******* enormous. The pizza lunch was delicious, & i'd be more than happy if the place wasn't so far from home so i could call in more regularly.
I tried a tasting paddle of beers with lunch. You know how it is when you try a new brand of beer, when you're hoping for awesomeness but usually end up with mediocrity? Well, every single one of the beers was spot-on. Those of you that are big fans of super-hoppy mega-strong beers will never be satisfied regardless of how technically brilliant these beers are, but I'm known for being a bit snobby & hard to please (beer-wise) & I thought they were all truly excellent beers.

A big thanks to Neal & the Australian Brewery for your time today, & also for supporting home brewers & our beer competitions in general.

Finally, Neal was kind enough to part with some hops that he didn't have any future brewing plans for. It's 2011 Summer Saaz, 6.3% AA.

I'd like to offer this to any other AHB members that entered/judged/stewarded/organised the Castle hill show, with the proviso that one of you has a vacuum sealer we can use to package the hops in, say, 250g & 500g lots. 3.5 kg to spare, first in best-dressed. Please only take it if you're gonna use it, & only take what you need so there's more for anyone else that wants it. Pickup from Marrickville, or can take to the next BrewShare night at the Local Taphouse.

Thanks again to the AB, & for Stu & the other organisers/judges/stewards at the Castle Hill Show brewing comp. Good work!

I do have a vacuum sealer. :)

Happy to do that but also probably don't need the hops at the moment. Glad you had a good day out there, mikk. They are good guys for sure. Let me know if you don't find a sealer though as I might be able to drop that by for you to use.

Finally got those results. That sets my mind at rest, Pete. Been waiting on the show people to send those out and glad they are finally done.

I do have a vacuum sealer. :)

Happy to do that but also probably don't need the hops at the moment. Glad you had a good day out there, mikk. They are good guys for sure. Let me know if you don't find a sealer though as I might be able to drop that by for you to use.

Finally got those results. That sets my mind at rest, Pete. Been waiting on the show people to send those out and glad they are finally done.

That sounds good, i'll keep your vacuum sealer in mind. After all the work you've already done with the comp though, I'll see if anyone else can provide one that wants to bring it round to help with the packaging. I'll drop half a kilo round your way regardless once everything's sorted. Might be nice to make a summer beer with the Summer Saaz!

Latest posts

Back