Castle Hill Show Competition 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
I am nearly ready to get the information out for the Castle Hill and Hills District Show homebrewing competition for 2012 out there. I am still waiting to finalise a few things but thought I'd better get some info out so people know what is going on. We will be holding the competition this year on 1st and 2nd September. The categories will include all the BJCP ones, probably in 8 categories as we did last year. I can tell you that the champion beer will get the chance to be brewed commercially. :super:

At present, Dave's Homebrew have stepped up to the plate once more, as have White Labs, Hopco, Paddy's, Potters and the Australian Brewery.

So, if anybody can judge, let me know.

And all you brewers you can get brewing on any style and if they are not ready for the state comp, or you want more feedback or glory, or you are just a competition junky (not looking at anyone in particular, Barry :p ) then you have until mid August to get your beers ready. (Entries open interstate as well.)

More info very soon.

Great work Stu. :beer: You put in a lot of work to get this organised.

Reckon I'll be able to make it down for judging on the Saturday.

Beers

Croz

Great to hear you're going to make the magic happen again Stu.
I'd be happy to steward again if you like.

So, we now have everything organised and ready to roll. There are some great prizes on offer I think and I'm hoping really looking forward to see how the Best of Show beer goes on tap at Paddy's. :)

As well as that from Paddy's, there are also prizes from The Australian Hotel, The Schwarz Brewery Hotel, Dave's Homebrew Shop, Murrays, Hunter Brew Co, White Labs and Hopco.

Entries cover all the beer styles (I hope :rolleyes: ) and we are also including meads and ciders. All the info is in the flyer anyway but do post here, PM or email if there is anything else you want to know.

Judges and stewards of course are a vital part of the process. Please let me know if you are available to judge on either or both days. Stewarding is a great way to get involved, drink carefully taste some beer and see how it all works. A good way to see if you are interested in judging or just to see what the judges are looking for in a beer. Lunch will be provided for judges and Heather does lay on a good spread.

Flyer
View attachment Castle_Hill_Comp_Flyer_2012.pdf

Good luck to all. :beer:

Onya Sam, for brewing the best in show. Is he a member here?

Good question. Not sure about that but he's certainly a good guy.

What a fantastic prize!

Nice work Stu!

I'm available to steward and / or judge.

Wow, i'm impressed with your organisational skills & how well the comp is being run already!
Nice work Stu.

Great prizes too.

Hey all,

Is this competition open to all styles of brewing?
ie kits and extract as well as all grain?

Cheers Matt

Hey all,

Is this competition open to all styles of brewing?
ie kits and extract as well as all grain?

Cheers Matt

Definitely, Matt. Kits or extract brewers can enter. No reason why they couldn't, I think.

If you are making it from a kit, it might be an idea to have a look at the AABC or the BJCP guides to see if what you have made is the same as what the style writers were thinking of. Kit labels are more about marketing than judging styles. But that applies to all brewers, in fact, as you do have to have a taste and see if the beer you have is the same as the one you thought you were making. The best beer in the world would not do that well if it was in the wrong category.

So, short answer, go for it. :)

Bump for the lunch-at-the-desk crowd.

(He types while eating his lunch. :) )

Bad news, for the comp but more generally for craft beer in Sydney and especially for Sam Clayman. Paddy's Brewery have shut up the brewing operation there as of yesterday. Sam the brewer there emailed me today to let me know that he was made redundant tomorrow and that the brewery is just going to sit idle. I am not sure but it may be that they are just going to concentrate on poker machines. :angry:

So the main prize is no longer. There will still be a great prize for the Champion Brewer though. But mainly I am just sorry for Sam who has been turning out some good beers, as well as holding the craft beer day out there. Good luck, Sam. :beer:

Boo to the hotel owner, who I understand never showed much interest in the output of the expensive toys

All the best to Sam. Hope to see him around the traps soon.

Hi Stuster - quick question - with the bottle labels, how do you identify that a bottle is my entry? The bottle labels only specify category and style. Thanks.

STM,

its important you have the entry form attached to one of your bottles. The pre-judging staff will assign your entry form a number and then write that number on your bottles, confirming your bottles matches the entry form. The number makes you anonymous to all but the head judge (stu) on the day.

Sad news for Sam & presumably Paddy's annual brewers fest. Paddy's was always about the TAB ie $$$

cheers

Hey I was just wondering how strict the rules on bottle capacity are? The flyer says 2 x 375 mL bottles, however most of my bottles are 330 mL or 345 mL. Will that a problem?

Back