Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone heading out to the Castle Hill Showground, the new entry is off Showground road at the new set of lights, you should see all the new signs.

You cannot enter off Doran drive anymore, we are/have dug a BIG hole there for the tunnel.

Cheers

Bribie G said:
Perfect transporting boxes for home brew are just wine boxes from your local bottlo - the smaller ones that hold spirits are better suited to 750ml PET bottles, the ones that hold six glass wine bottles are better if you are entering longnecks.

If you are entering less than six, a swift bit of handywork with a Stanley knife and some packing tape, and some bubble wrap, and you are well away.
I was only going to enter a couple (longnecks). I think we might have a wine giftbox somewhere that had two bottles in it, sounds like that should do the trick.

Barry said:
I am one of the people who picks up the entries and deliver them to right person, at the right place, at the right time. Some bubble wrap around each bottle and into the right size cardboard box, or similar, with some packing to stop the bottles moving around is good.
I try my best to treat each entry with the upmost care. It becomes hard to do this if the entry/ entries have no protective wrap, are loose in a Coles plastic carry bag, falling over in a big box etc. etc.
We try to put them so they don't fall over, break etc. However this takes time which is in short supply pre comp.
However, please do not wrap each entry in several metres of bubble wrap and gaffer tape. Unwrapping these bottles takes lots of time and the bottle usually ends up shaken in the process.
Hope this helps.
or me who unwraps with the use of a knife. id hate to puncture someones entry as i have to hack away.

Conical anyone? :blink:

Looks like we have a couple of extra prizes to add in.

Final details tonight after I get one more bit of info from a sponsor. :D

Well, I'm still waiting for final details from sponsors but it looks like there will be a 30L conical for the BOS winner from a NZ company, Malt Mechanics!

Plus Mangrove Jack's are in as sponsor also.

Any cheap digs at Castle Hill?
Would like to use my free rail passes and stay for weekend but not drive for obvious reasons.

For those who brewed late, Is there an option for entries to be stored at room temp on a floor somewhere to ensure final carbonation, or do they all go into a cold room or something?

Yep, the beers won't be stored at colder than room temp on a floor for the week before the comp so you might be able to cut it fine and hope it'll carb up then.

PM/email me about the cheap digs, Bribie. I may have something for you.

PM sent, cheers... should be able to sneak in a 4.3% ABV that I'd been planning.

No trains out that way just yet, there will be in 8 years time.

Not a lot of cheap accomdation out that way, nearest is probably http://www.hillslodge.com.au/ can sometimes get cheap deals, about a longnecks walk from the Showground.

Otherwise there is an Ibis on Pennat Hills road near Thornleigh which would be cheaper, the M60 bus would get you down to Showground way, but its not that close.

I would recommend http://www.australianbrewery.com.au/ when your out that way, is the better then the rest of the pubs around there.

Yeah, normally stay with mate at Pennant / Thornleigh but he's moved. Thanks for the tips.

So as mentioned, we have a few more prizes to add. Mangrove Jack's are now sponsoring us so we have all 20 categories sponsored including meads and ciders!

The Best of Show winner will win a 30L conical from NZ company Malt Mechanics, as well as the great prize from the Brew Shop.

Let me know if you are interested in judging or stewarding. If anybody is interested in doing the scheduled BJCP exam next year then make sure you come along. Those who have taken part will definitely be given first option on that.

All the updated information is here now, and good luck to all.

View attachment Castle Hill Comp Flyer 2014.pdf

Much as I'd love to come down and help out, the 23 August is my 39th wedding anniversary.
If I was to go and do beer things on that day, it would be my last, and I'd prefer to avoid that.

My entry is on its way to Sydney as I type, courtesy of our son-in-law, who will drop it off at Dave's.

Best of luck to all involved, and may the best beers and brewers win.

Thanks Stuster, all sorted with the accommodation and travelling, really looking forward to putting some faces to names as well.

Thanks for you help. Gotta fly, a bag needs squeezing out in the brewery at the moment. :lol:

Congrats warra, next year will be a milestone as well. Regards to the lovely Mrs Warra :beerbang:

Just a note about the flyer, Marks Home Brew is still listed at the old Islington address, as a drop off point.

Bribie G said:
Just a note about the flyer, Marks Home Brew is still listed at the old Islington address, as a drop off point.
Good catch, Bribie, the address is:

[SIZE=large]Marks Home Brew
11/56 Industrial Drive
Mayfield East
NSW 2304[/SIZE]

I know the flyer says one 500ml or two 375ml, but would it be a problem if I entered two 330ml bottles?

I want to enter the comp, but all my beers are in 330ml bottles.

Given the recent chatter about Marks Homebrew changing ownership will this affect the drop off point? I will be travelling to either Newcastle or Sydney next Friday depending on the answer.

Stew

I called Mark's HomeBrew yesterday, he told me that he was closing his business today and that he would not be available as a drop off point for the comp.
Cheers
Geoff

Latest posts

Back