Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 2 beers I'd like to enter. One is still in the fermenter and has FINALLY reached terminal gravity after 10 whole days of bubbling away. Will bottle it up tonight. It'll be quite young in the bottle and hopefully carbed up by 24th (11 days in the bottle), but I'm keen to get it entered as it's my first comp and I'd like some good honest feedback. Do you think I'm wasting my time sending in a beer that young? It's an APA. It's only $5 so I don't think I've got anything to lose. My only worry is if they put the beers into the fridge next Monday!

donald_trub said:
I've got 2 beers I'd like to enter. One is still in the fermenter and has FINALLY reached terminal gravity after 10 whole days of bubbling away. Will bottle it up tonight. It'll be quite young in the bottle and hopefully carbed up by 24th (11 days in the bottle), but I'm keen to get it entered as it's my first comp and I'd like some good honest feedback. Do you think I'm wasting my time sending in a beer that young? It's an APA. It's only $5 so I don't think I've got anything to lose. My only worry is if they put the beers into the fridge next Monday!
Honest impartial feedback is almost always useful. Keep a bottle or two and put them in the fridge on Monday, then when you get the feedback you can do one or more side by sides with bottles that you kept at room temp for longer to carb properly. That way you’ll at least get an idea whether any issues the judges noted were resolved just by a little more aging.

Or it could carb fine, be an excellent APA and win the comp

Your only downside is the cost of entry and getting the bottle to a drop off point

It's only 5 dollars lost! Yep, I'll put it in and hope some poor soul isn't trying a flat beer!

By the way, a comment about this Castle Hill show, and this isn't directed to the oragnisers of the beer comp. The website is a total mess. Virtually all the information is related to last year's show or even 2012. If you're wanted people to come to your show, that's not a great way of filling them with confidence that it's even on.

Has anyone ever been? Is it worth a day out? Can you actually watch the beer judging or does it happen behind closed doors?

the judging is worth a look if your interested but as a side pint the show itself isnt on till march next year. so theres robably bugger all info on about it.
you will learn more by stewarding than you would believe. come on out and meet us.

It'll be Saturday so you should make it. If you are having difficulties, let me know though.

For all, make sure you do the electronic form as well. Entries without that may simply be drunk by the head steward. :chug:

And keep those entries coming in. Don't forget the brew day, conical, trophy, vouchers...

donald_trub said:
I'm sure it's not the first time that a beer has been entered, and not quite carbonated yet.
I recall a wheat beer being entered a few years ago, and it was capped with one of those vent caps, used for fermenting ciders in PET bottles.

Pretty sure that Stu said the entries will have about a week at room temp, before refrigeration day. Yep, quoted below:

Stuster said:
Yep, the beers won't be stored at colder than room temp on a floor for the week before the comp so you might be able to cut it fine and hope it'll carb up then.

donald_trub said:
I bottled a APA and Mild Ale this weekend I'll enter. Keeping them in the study next to the heater to help them along, but they should be ok in time. Stick them in a warm spot and you should be fine.

Dropping my 11 entries into the showgrounds on Saturday, postage would have hurt! Still haven't done the online entry as I'm waiting a few days to see how my ciders have carbed so I can describe them accurately (hopefully!)

They'll be sitting for a week on a floor anyway, hopefully that will do the trick. Most AG beers seem to carb up quicker than the kits, and depending on the style (e.g. UK ales, many APAs) they are pretty good when young, as they are intended to be.

Note: There is a limit of 2 entries per category (so 40 is the most you can enter!), max 1 entry per style.
Does this apply to Specialty Beers as well? I have two Specialty Beers that probably fit into 18.7 Other Specialty.

donald_trub said:
It's only 5 dollars lost! Yep, I'll put it in and hope some poor soul isn't trying a flat beer!

By the way, a comment about this Castle Hill show, and this isn't directed to the oragnisers of the beer comp. The website is a total mess. Virtually all the information is related to last year's show or even 2012. If you're wanted people to come to your show, that's not a great way of filling them with confidence that it's even on.

Has anyone ever been? Is it worth a day out? Can you actually watch the beer judging or does it happen behind closed doors?
The actual Castle Hill show is in March. Haven't been for years so I can't say if it's good.
They don't go out of their way to advertise it, so I keep missing it by a weekend or three.
Stupid, I know.

Finally got my online entries decided, after blind testing the wife with my cider. Who'd have thought choosing between petillant and sparkling, or dry and semi sweet is so damn difficult.

Time to label the bottles and get them over there saturday!

I did go to the show one year and it's pretty good if you've got small kids. Much more manageable than the Royal.

Hoping to grab a taste of those, Grant.

Nearly there folks, get entries in by tomorrow at your local brew shop or direct to the showground. We'll be there from 10-2 but if you are running let me know by emailing me at the gmail in the competition pdf or pm me here.

Are you still looking for stewards? Have just about negotiated a pass with SWMBO (and yes I know its a thumbprint not a bald spot),and as everyone says I'm a complete bar steward I reckon I must be a natural

Just a thought, could any AHB members just pin their username to their coat / shirt / kaftan / sporran etc. just on a piece of card whatever?

It's not an AHB event of course and we'll all be heads down and bums up focussed on the job in hand, so with AHB members attending from all over the place, it would be a good icebreaker for putting face to name and avoid unnecessary distractions such as "and are you on AHB? What's your username?" etc.

Bribie G said:
Just a thought, could any AHB members just pin their username to their coat / shirt / kaftan / sporran etc. just on a piece of card whatever?

It's not an AHB event of course and we'll all be heads down and bums up focussed on the job in hand, so with AHB members attending from all over the place, it would be a good icebreaker for putting face to name and avoid unnecessary distractions such as "and are you on AHB? What's your username?" etc.
Interesting idea. Most of the people present will have been on AHB at some stage.

All volunteers are welcomed Blind Dog. PM Stuster so he can better manage the numbers.

Just heading over to drop some entries in. Where in the showground is the drop off?

OK, its at the office, go right through the removable bollards for anyone else going over.

Lady called Heather left msg on phone today to say my entries received.

First class organisation and service, thanks guys.

Give regards to Heather. :)

Latest posts

Back