Castle Hill and NSW State Competition 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked my tracking number to make sure my beers got there ok and it says they have been awaiting collection since Monday. Tomorrow is the last day for postal entries so just wanted to make sure they will be included even if someone doesn't pick them up tomorrow. Cheers lads

Stuster said:
I think the best thing for me would be if you submit your entries again online, this time the way you actually want them entered. I can then just delete your first entries from my sheet. That would be most accurate I think.

And please do attach labels to each bottle, either with a rubber band or tape. Either you do it, or one of us has to do it. And if we receive a bunch of bottles with no labels, how are we going to know which is which??
Thanks Stuster. I've resubmitted my entry (Daniel Grant). Also, my mate Quinton Foroozani made the same mistake, so he has a new entry as well. Please delete both of our prior entries. I'll make sure our forms and bottle labels are all correct.
Cheers mate.

so long as the post date is before the close you will be right mate.

One more newbie question: Being a relatively new brewer, I sometimes have been off on my calculations with sugar when bottling. It has resulted in a few gushers (not infected, just over carbonated). I think all the beers I've entered should be safe. But if an entered beer is a gusher, is that pretty much an auto-fail? Or do you try to salvage it and still have it judged?

it will be judged, the stewards will tell the judges that it did and we will go from there.

Just dropped my beers off at the Brew Shop.

Now the nervous wait begins

Yep the beers will definitely be entered if they were posted before today. If you haven't got them in then get along to Dave's, Pat's, Mark's or the Bree Shop tomorrow. Or to the showground between 10 and 2.

Barls is spot on of course. Gushers will still be judged and may lose some points for having a massive head or having carbonic bite from excess carbonation but that would just depend on what the judges perceive. Beers that are contaminated (infected) get judged as well and feedback is I think the most important part of the whole judging of the beers.

3 bottles entered....
2 I know are pretty good.
1 is a recipe I've never done before, and didn't even taste before entering, due to a stinking cold and can't taste anything. Not ideal.
Fingers crossed!

The window for entries is closed. And the count is over 500 entries!

We do have a good number of judges and stewards lined up (and a big thanks in advance to them), but we still need a few more to cope with the vast number of beers to be judged.

Let me know if you want to be part of the competition judging. It'll be around 9 to 3 both days next weekend. A full lunch is provided by the show (Heather in fact). We have a few door prizes for judges and stewards as well.

Badlands Brewery IPA beer - another big thanks to Jon the brewer for providing these crackers.
Brewing t-shirts.

But more important is to be part hearing what judges have to say about beers and to have a day thinking about, talking about and tasting beers. :D

5 beers entered, 1 I know is good, another I think is good and 3 I'm unsure about and looking forward to the feedback. Can't wait to help with it all next Saturday.

Stuster said:
The window for entries is closed. And the count is over 500 entries!

We do have a good number of judges and stewards lined up (and a big thanks in advance to them), but we still need a few more to cope with the vast number of beers to be judged.

Let me know if you want to be part of the competition judging. It'll be around 9 to 3 both days next weekend. A full lunch is provided by the show (Heather in fact). We have a few door prizes for judges and stewards as well.

Badlands Brewery IPA beer - another big thanks to Jon the brewer for providing these crackers.
Brewing t-shirts.

But more important is to be part hearing what judges have to say about beers and to have a day thinking about, talking about and tasting beers. :D
Might have a spare car seat or 2 available from Marrickville out to sunny Castle Hill, if that helps get more judges/stewards onboard.

I can't seem to find when the results will be available. When will that be?

stiltzkin said:
I can't seem to find when the results will be available. When will that be?
They were posted in the other thread here, post #55

mosto said:
This year's mistake...not labelling my bottles after pouring from the keg and having no idea which was which. One's a Brown Porter and another an American Brown Ale, not easily distinguishable when in brown PET bottles. So to the judges, if your drinking a Brown Porter which tastes like an American Brown Ale, and vice versa, it's probably mine :lol:
Well, a valuable lesson learnt. Got my judging sheets back today...lots of comments like 'not really to style' on both sheets and even a 'good beer but more of a Brown Ale than a Porter' on one of the Porters judging sheets. All good feedback just the same, just wished I'd labelled them correctly as the Brown Ale, in particular, sounds like it could have done well. Perhaps taking the lids off for a quick sample before sending wouldn't have hurt on this occasion :D

mosto said:
Well, a valuable lesson learnt. Got my judging sheets back today...lots of comments like 'not really to style' on both sheets and even a 'good beer but more of a Brown Ale than a Porter' on one of the Porters judging sheets. All good feedback just the same, just wished I'd labelled them correctly as the Brown Ale, in particular, sounds like it could have done well. Perhaps taking the lids off for a quick sample before sending wouldn't have hurt on this occasion :D
or just better labelling at your end before hand. got my sheets today and have opened them yet.

Received my sheets today so thanks Stu. Thanks to all the judges and stewards that made it possible. Heather and her team enhanced the standard of the comp and it wouldn't be the same without their time and effort.
Last, but not least, a big thanks to all the sponsors. I certainly will remember their contribution when buying brewing products or a craft beer.

Got my notes, scoresheets and prize today. Thanks heaps to Stu & co and all sponsors!

Latest posts

Back