Cask Conditioned Ales - Try It At Home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
I gues this Mainly for the SA AHB Members as i have no idea on freight.

I have sourced some good prices on Rebulit Oak Barrels.
However i need a cumlative order of at least 5 to get the special prices.

SO - if you want to age a RIS/BW etc or want to try some Oak Cask Conditioned Ale - then these might be for you.

I have arranged a price on ex wine barrels. These are made from large Hogs Head and cut down/reshaped/shaved where requested and made into full barrels by a Cooper.

These are:
French Oak Only - the COoper hates using American Oak as it is too twisty/knotty.
Built from a Hogs Head
Full Barrels - not a barrel end.
The staves are Shaved if requested -
the oak is toasted or Charcoal Burnt for certain Ghostly pursuits
sizes range from 9ltr up wards
Awaiting pricing on SS Taps instead of Brass Taps (Hopefully same Price) - Your Choice.
Can choose what u want your Barrel made from eg - Old Port/sherry Casks - unshaved for aging Barley Wine - or ex white wine shaved and medium toasted for American Pale ALes.

If we buy at least 5 and pay cash..
80ltr = 210.00 (Normally 280.00)
45ltr = 200.00 (Normally 240.00)
25ltr = 180.00 (special brewers size made for us to house a full batch of Beer) 15ltr = 170.00 ( Normally 200.00)
9ltr = 160.00 (Normally 180.00)

Let me know if you are interested.... :beer:

Once i have firm numbers i will confirm pricing/SS Taps etc.

GMKenterprises
(Note GMKenterprises is passing the full savings onto AHBers) :super:

Bugger this forum!!!

Every bloody day there's another "must have" piece of equipment :D

What do you reckon the 25L would cost landed Brizzy GMK??

Hmmmm ....

How would you go about sanitising an oak cask?

well - Courier Company wise - approx 20.00 - 25.00.

Prob is that with most Courier companys will not give insurance.

but budget 25.00

I wish they are available in 50ltrs....

If I package beer from the micro in containers larger than 48ltrs then the excise is reduced...

Ross..dont worry, i wont be using THAT yeast you tried in Tamworth...although it has started to settle after about 4 mnths..

If I was to get one then I'd have no more excuses to keep putting of doing those Lambics.
Wonder if I could convince SWMBO that the barrels were so I could make champagne for her ? :lol:

Doc

Ken, I am tempted at a 25 litre one. Now for some stupid questions, Do they hold any carbonation? Is oxidation a problem in these?
cheers
Darren

Ducati Boy - i can ask him for 50ltr one - but it will be somewhere between 48 and 52ltrs.

Daren
U can opt for a coat of varnish on the outside - there will still be a little O2 that gets thru - this is part of the Maturation process.

I will be getting a 45ltr Old Port/sherry unshaved barrel for Barley Wine.
No varnish on the outside.

Hope this helps

I'd be interested in a 45 litre one (or a 25 - I cant decide what size would be best).....For some Lambic/Flanders Red Ale experiments.....

I'll have to do some more research (anyone here an expert?) but I believe the best type of cask for this style would be an ex white wine, shaved with a medium toast.

Colinw. As for sanitising. I believe a strict regime of filling and emptying the barrel with a solution of metabisulphate or even burning sulphur candles in it is required... kind of like looking after a pair of good leather boots...

Asher for now

Asher

IMHO - if this will be a once off - then go for the 25ltr.
If it is a style that u want to make a lot of - then go for the 45ltr.
Idea is to brew up 45ltrs - after secondary store in Oak Barrel.
Then every six months - make another batch - then Beer out of the barrel + beer in to the barrel and it keeps aging/maturing...

Hope this helps

ok, i will go for a 25 litre one, shaved, medium toast.
The wife is going to kill me :angry:

Darren says 'The wife is going to kill me'

I say 'Kill her first ' :p

Man im keen on this thing too !
Yep and my wife will TRY kill me ! :eek:

Darren said:
[post="75844"][/post]​

Dont want to get you in trouble...

But - tell her she does not need to get you a Xmas Present....

What is your Tap preference - Brass or SS...

or do u want to fit your own Ball Valve...

GMK said:
Darren said:
[post="75844"][/post]​

Dont want to get you in trouble...

But - tell her she does not need to get you a Xmas Present....

What is your Tap preference - Brass or SS...

or do u want to fit your own Ball Valve...
[post="75847"][/post]​

I gather they are extra? If so fit my own

Doc said:
If I was to get one then I'd have no more excuses to keep putting of doing those Lambics.
Wonder if I could convince SWMBO that the barrels were so I could make champagne for her ? :lol:

Doc
[post="75809"][/post]​

Having read Wild Brews I'm planning to avoid going the wood route for small batches (ie 50L) of lambic / flanders red. The oxygen that will seep in with such a small barrel is too high IMO. I think glass is the way to go, with some oak chips (soaked in gueuze) thrown in to give some character. It's still going to be a while before I can start trying all my plans though! :(

All that said, if freight can be arranged to Perth, i'd be interesting in picking up a 25L and a 9L barrel for experimentations. The 25L for aging of Stouts, Barley Wines and Porters, and the 9L as a serving vessel for Whiskey Porter.

Dont know yet - but do you want SS ....

If u want to fit your own - then it should be 20.00 cheaper...

Would love to grab one of these for som experimentation but the funds will be a bit short I think :(

At this rate we are going to need a bulk buy forum! :D

And I'm sure you guys realise that if you are going to use them for Lambics then you will need at least two, so that you can start blending.
Oh, where does it end.
I think I'm going to have to go and do a budget :(

Doc

Idea is to brew up 45ltrs - after secondary store in Oak Barrel.
Then every six months - make another batch - then Beer out of the barrel + beer in to the barrel and it keeps aging/maturing...

GMK
The above method, is a more non traditional method of blending based on the ageing method used for sherry (sherry solera). From what I have read this will produce a very different style of beer (I'm not saying its a bad idea BTW - in fact the dude from WYeast has a barrel for this in his brewery).
The whole idea of 'topping off' the barrel with fresh wort to reduce head space after sampling seems to be becoming more acceptable though. More of an issue with lambics i think as it will disturb the pellicle.

Having read Wild Brews I'm planning to avoid going the wood route for small batches (ie 50L) of lambic / flanders red. The oxygen that will seep in with such a small barrel is too high IMO.

kook,
I have just re-read the chapter in Wildbrews on Barrels. Your right about the surface to volume ratio of smaller barrels increasing the amount of oxygen being diffused into the maturing beer. They talk about higher levels of oxygen promoting growth of only some of the required micro-organisms. So the resultant flavour balance may be effected... The consensus seems to be that a small oak barrel or glass carboy are preferred over plastic... with oak barrels , as long as you can keep the acetic acid & ethyl acetate (acidic vinegar flavours) producing bacteria under control you should be OK. I plan to do this by incorporating a sterilising rinse between batches (knowing quite well this will not kill all the bacteria in the wood) and re inoculating with fresh WYeast bacteria on each re-fill. Similar to what would be required for a glass carboy, but hopefully adding some complexity from the residual bacteria in the oak.....

Doc suggests the need for more than one barrel....
I was planning on using the barrel for maturing/ageing then blend (with young beer if necessary) when transferring to kegs for consumption.... Then rinse & start again. using a fresh batch of WYeast Roselare blend.

:beerbang:
So finally my barrel wish list :-
- French Oak
- 45 litres (approx)
- Made from the thickest staves he can get. To reduce O2 diffusion as much as possible (to mimic a larger barrel)
- Ex White wine with a light scrape/shave (can he get red wine barrels?)
- SS Tap fitted by the cooper. I think I'll leave this one to the expert rather than try and fit my own... how would you do it?

Asher for now

edit: spelling!!

Back