Cascadian Dark/Black Ale (Extract Brew)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigantorus

Reaction score
Every now and then you create something that turns out to be some special. Recently did a black ale/Cascadian dark ale which turned out amazing.

I wanted to use some up some small amounts of malts and decided to use this recipe to do it, as most were the darker varieties. I did put the thinking cap on about which grains to use - so it wasn't totally a chuck it in and see what happens.

I also wanted to try using some treacle as well, which though mostly fermented out, but still left a little flavour & aroma in the brew.

The result is a luxurious dark ale with flavours & aromas of dark fruit, toffee & chocolate. Specs are: 7.2%ABV, 14IBU

Recipe and pics is attached.

Brewing Method was:

1. Steep grains in 7 Litres of 68C water for 30 mins
2. Sparge grain with 5 Litres of 77C water to make total boil amount of about 12 Litres.
3. Add 2kg of Dry Malt powders to grain liquid and stir well - bring to boil. Boil is for a total of 60 mins. Add final 2kg dry malt with 15mins to go and stir well.
4. Follow hop additions as per schedule (60mins & Flameout)
5. Add 1 Whirlfloc tablet at 15mins to go.
6. With 5mins to go in boil, add Maltodextrin and stir well
7. At Flameout add final hop addition - 3 x 40grams and let sit for 10mins
8. Transfer wort to pot, add Treacle & stir well, and cool to around 25C in a sink full of ice & cold water
9. Then strain wort into Fermenter and stir well (final liquid amount being about 10Litres of concentrate)
10. Add 14Litres of cold water to make 24 Litres and stir well
11. Stir in 2 packets of Empire Ale Yeast into wort and aerate well.
12. Put Fermenter into fridge pre-set at 19C, sprinkle 3rd Empire Ale yeast on surface and fit FV lid and airlock.
13. Ferment at 19C for 10 days.
14. With 4 days to go, add 150g of dry-hops in santitised mesh bag.
15. With 2 days to go drop temp to 1C.

Attachments

• DL-OEBA-2017.pdf
    234.2 KB · Views: 105
Sounds tasty :) Does it remind you of any commercial brew?

Probably a slightly fruitier version of Modus Operandi's Cascadian Howl Black IPA - but my IBU's are way lower (around 15). Maybe????

Latest posts

Back