Cascade Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
A friend of mine works at the Cascade brewery and reckons he can get me some of the "live" yeast the brewery uses. Now I know all yeast you would want to use should be live, dur, but this is what they apparently call it.

Does anybody have any idea what yeast Cascade brewery uses?... I hazard a guess and would say it is possibly their own strain.

A friend of mine works at the Cascade brewery and reckons he can get me some of the "live" yeast the brewery uses. Now I know all yeast you would want to use should be live, dur, but this is what they apparently call it.

Does anybody have any idea what yeast Cascade brewery uses?... I hazard a guess and would say it is possibly their own strain.

Sounds interesting, no idea what strain they use but if your friend gets caught lifting a sample it would be his job on the line. Most breweries are very protective of their yeast strains.

Andrew

Dare say it would be a house strain for most but I did a tour (again) recently and noticed they have a big arse fridge near the kettle with a rather large label stating "US-05"
The same fridge had labels for yeast nutrient and hop extract, the thing I really wanted was a couple of the boxes marked Galaxy that were sitting on the pallet next to the fridge.

Strangely enough I asked this question of our 'guide' and she proceeded to tell me in 'stupid visitor' tones that all cascade beer uses a bottom fermenting yeast!
To disprove this bullshit I asked the head brewer who was in the visitor centre having lunch and he confirmed that she was full of it and as you would think the Stout & Blonde use an ale yeast.
I got distracted when talking to him about the stout recipe that I forgot to ask about the yeast strain and propagation procedures.

Either way, get some and experiment.

Yeah that's what I thought. He reckons he will be fine but I told him not to jeopardise his position but he now wants to do it.

Of course I don't want to be the course of a bad result but he now insists. I told him 100ml would be fine cause I'd split it and step it up etc but he is looking more at about 5 litres!!!. I do have some empty tubes but 5L is a shit load!

yep, their own strain/s - my understanding is that for their pale ale its actually a mix of two different strains.

There is also a distinct possibility that CUB might well be unhappy about the notion of employees handing out samples of their proprietary yeasts.... i mean they send truckloads of the stuff to kraft so they haven't exactly got it under armed guard or anything, but fresh, presumably sanitary, presumably pure samples straight from the brewery, for the purpose of making beer?? That might raise an eyebrow.

Perhaps best to keep it a little on the QT if you do take up your mate's offer.

Edit: too slow, already covered - but still true. careful careful.

by no way would CUB appove their strains going off their sites. Kraft have contract to protect their strains and besides yeast that goes to kraft is generally infected and would not be able to used for brewing - it is generally had too many generations or has had higher than wanted micro results

Cascade is two strains (both of which are CUB owned strains)

I have no idea why you would try and get 5 litres either - good luck trying to keep it in a bottle

Back