• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Cascade Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheekyPanda

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a few Cascade rhizomes.

There is a quantity of around 100 at the quality as seen in the attached image.

I'd like to swap them for varieties that I don't currently have:
  • Centennial
  • Golding
  • Nugget
  • Galena
If you have anything you would like to swap that isn't in the list above still drop me a line.

Cascade A Quality.jpg

I was curious about the import constraints of a rhizome.... I found this

Biosecurity Australia considers that the risk management measures proposed in this PRA report will achieve Australia’s ALOP against identified pests. The final policy has the following risk management measures for the different propagative materials are:
Soil free dormant rhizomes and foliage free dormant cuttings
  • On-arrival inspection and fumigation, hot water treatment (50 °C for 30 minutes), surface sterilisation (1% NaOCl for 10 minutes), growth in closed government quarantine facilities of mother plants at 15–25 °C for a minimum period of six months for visual observation; and
  • Molecular testing techniques including polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test for fungal pathogens, herbaceous indexing and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and/or PCR for viruses and viroids and generic nested primer PCR for phytoplasma.
Seed for sowing
  • Hot water treatment (50 ºC for 30 minutes), surface sterilisation (1% NaOCl for 10 minutes); fungicidal treatment and growth in closed government quarantine facilities at 15–25 °C for a minimum period of six months; and
  • Molecular testing techniques including PCR test for fungal pathogens, herbaceous indexing and ELISA and/or PCR for viruses.
Tissue culture
  • Growth in closed government quarantine facilities at 15–25 °C for a minimum period of six months for visual observation; and
  • Herbaceous indexing, laboratory assay and molecular testing techniques including ELISA and/or PCR test for fungi, viruses and viroids and generic nested primer PCR for phytoplasma.
The policy will be taken into account by decision makers when considering import permit applications for Humulus nursery stock in accordance with the Quarantine Act 1908 and Quarantine Proclamation 1998 as amended.

All that just sounds like $$$$$$$$ out of someone's pocket.

Yeah, the costs are massive. I saw an example where the storage itself was 12k.

Keep going, it's likely to cost about $50K per variety and then if there is something wrong with it.. To bad, please come again..

Yob said:
Keep going, it's likely to cost about $50K per variety and then if there is something wrong with it.. To bad, please come again..
Ouch.

CheekyPanda said:
Not a lot of interest in swapping?
I don't have anything to swap, but would love to get my hands on cascade rhizomes.

So if you don't find someone to swap with ...

Yob said:
So 1 ton of final product ex expenses, in other words you'd need to grow 20 ton just to make it worthwhile financially and it would take atleast 2 years to build stocks to that level. So probably a 3 year black hole without return. It don't look bright for home grown hop choices getting any biģger.

Also lacking in ability to swap but keen to get my hands on some of the cascade rhizomes, any chance of a low cost purchase?

Back