Cascade Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wassa

Reaction score
I am looking for a kit or extract brew that will give me a beer similar in taste to Cascade Premium Lager.

I was thinking of maybe a lightly hopped brew like Black Rock or Rapid Creek, add 2 litres of water and boil for 60 minutes adding 40gm of Cacsade pellets at 30 mins and another 20gm at flame out.

What do you think or any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks guys,

Wassa

Cascade have their Golden Harvest Lager kit. I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. Maybe try using that with some Cascade hops.

Also, instead of using dextrose or sugar, try using 1kg of light dry malt as a substitute.

Firstly there are no Cascade hops in Cascade lager (I'm assuming you mean the premium lager, there is also a blue label cascade lager but this still has no cascade hops). Cascade is the name of the brewery and is named such because the area the brewery is located is called "The Cascades".

The hops used are pride of ringwood for bittering and hallertau for flavour and aroma, the yeast is Wyeast Danish lager. For a kit version I have heard (but not tried) Black Rock Colonial Lager, with 1kg dried malt extract to which you add perhaps around 20g of Hallertau hop pellets from a hop tea. Ferment with a proper lager yeast, the choice for which is Wyeast Danish lager. Alternatively as stated above, the cascade kit might be a good start. Try both, just means you'll have to drink more beer.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Justin

I can help out with the grain bill if someone wants to convert it to extract.

3.0Kg of pale malt
50g of wheat flour
16g pride of Ringwood hops
500g white sugar

This was either for 22 or 25 litres....can't remember, will have to find the recipie book :)

for a kit and kilo try;
1 can blackrock dry lager (dont use the dry enzyme)
1 kg of DME
1 brewcraft german lager convereter pack
Saflager S23

I didn this when i firat started brewing and it goes alright. not a direct clone, but certainly in the ballpark

Thanks guys aspecially you Justin. My LHBS told me that Cascade hops were the main hop in Cascade lager so that's why I thought to use them.

Will try your recipe and those others mentioned. After all a man can never have too much beer to drink.

Wassa

Wassa said:
My LHBS told me that Cascade hops were the main hop in Cascade lager so that's why I thought to use them.

Wassa
[post="76190"][/post]​

Time to get a new HBS I think. I wonder if they've ever actually tasted/smelled anything brewed with Cascade hops and/or Cascade Premium Lager?? :rolleyes: That is not a go at you at all Wassa. Just amazed at the 'info' given by some HBS' out there...

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back