Cascade Hop Sub For Citra IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
hey guys

brewing a Citra IPA this week and just realised i didnt have enough Cascade (only 30g) hops in stock. Below is the recipe and I was after some suggestions as to what to substitute in. I thouhgt maybe use the Cascade in dry hop and something from my other stocks in the boil?

My other options are Willamette, Topaz, Simcoe, Enigma, Nelson Sauv, Amarillo and Galaxy.

The recipe is

5.07 kg Pale Malt
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.25 kg Munich Malt - 10L
0.25 kg Victory Malt
24.00 g Magnum Boil 60.0 min
6.44 g Cascade Boil 10.0 min
6.44 g Citra Boil 10.0 min
6.44 g Cascade Boil 1.0 min
6.44 g Citra Boil 1.0 min
7.49 g Cascade Steep/Whirlpool
7.49 g Citra Steep/Whirlpool
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
29.96 g Cascade Dry Hop
29.96 g Citra Dry Hop

Suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

Amarillo and simcoe.
Forget subbing - just make a good beer. Both of those hops marry well with cascade and citra.

Yob said:
so what did you do?
Brewing Wednesday night and think I will use Cascade and Citra in the boil as the recipe shows and then use Simcoe and Citra in the flameout/dry hop.

I really like the suggestions from the experienced (yet unattractive) above. Another possibility that I'm starting to like in IPAs more and more is centennial (especially after trying Danestead's Hop Hog clone).

Edit added: Oops, just noticed it's not in the freezer. Back to what you were doing. -_-

antiphile said:
I really like the suggestions from the experienced (yet unattractive) above. Another possibility that I'm starting to like in IPAs more and more is centennial (especially after trying Danestead's Hop Hog clone).

Edit added: Oops, just noticed it's not in the freezer. Back to what you were doing. -_-
I did have some Centennial but used them in a previous beer.

manticle said:
Yes but galaxy tastes like galaxy.

Who's unattractive?
Yeah I am a bit with you of the taste of Galaxy. Started brewing and all I wanted to do was produce a great Summer Ale based on Galaxy hops...but my brews along those lines haven't been my greatest achievements!

chrisluki said:
Yeah I am a bit with you of the taste of Galaxy. Started brewing and all I wanted to do was produce a great Summer Ale based on Galaxy hops...but my brews along those lines haven't been my greatest achievements!
One kind soul actually gave me some galaxy pellets to try over the weekend. So, without it overpowering a brew, are there any suggestions as to when and how much should be used in, say, a 23 litre Pale Ale to show it's strengths?

BTW, manticle, I like living too much to suggest you may have been one of those to which I referred. I'm just keeping to myself the thought that neither you or Yob will be offered a centrefold job for Cosmopolitan. D'oh! :ph34r:

1g/L is a good place to start to get an idea for hops.

But an easy way to determine the flavour and aroma of a hop without throwing them into a brew is to just make a hop tea with some hot water.

antiphile said:
One kind soul actually gave me some galaxy pellets to try over the weekend. So, without it overpowering a brew, are there any suggestions as to when and how much should be used in, say, a 23 litre Pale Ale to show it's strengths?

BTW, manticle, I like living too much to suggest you may have been one of those to which I referred. I'm just keeping to myself the thought that neither you or Yob will be offered a centrefold job for Cosmopolitan. D'oh! :ph34r:
2015-11-30_12-47-36.jpg

Back