Cascade Golden Harvest Kit.....improvements?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long story short I picked up one of the Cascade Golden Harvest Lager kits earlier this year and figured its about time I used.

1 x Cascade Golden Harvest Kit
1.5kg Light DME
35g Citra
25g Galaxy
US-05

Boil schedule

5litre of water with 500g of DME
20 min - Citra 20gr
5 min - Galaxy 10gr
Tip it straight into the fermenter

Add Kit, remaining malt, top up to 23litre and pitch yeast at 20 degrees

Day 5 dry hop with
15g Citra
15g Galaxy

Thoughts, suggestions?

Instead of doing a boil, I considered just doing a hop tea by boiling 5litres of water with 500g of DME and flame out with 25gr of each hop and leaving it for 30mins before adding to the Fermenter.

So I've decided to drop the DME to 1kg and add 500g of liquid amber malt. Going to do it now

Sounds good to me man. Although with the boil, citra and galaxy have a bit kick to them in turns out bittering, so based on Ian's spreadsheet it will end will end up being around 40 IBU.

Sounds like it should turn out pretty well though, let us know how it goes. :D

Also, beware of the galaxy with dry hopping, some people say it can make it too grassy if it's left dry hopping too long. Good luck!

Saw ya post last second, so I dropped the boil down to 15mins to drop a little bit of the bitterness off.

Thanks for reminding me about galaxy grassy nature. How far away from bottling should it be added to the fermenter to minimize grassy character?

Also threw down a coopers blonde with us-05, 1.5kg LDME, 25g of cascade and Amarillo steeped for 30mins. Can't wait to start drinking them. Didn't have any ice on hand to cool the boils, so had to leave them overnight with ice packs to bring the temp down before pitching this morning. Not worried, everything was clean and sanitized.

I don't know to be honest as it from what I've read any time a week on can be dangerous, so I've already used it 3 days and maybe 4 days max to avoid any possible grassy tastes.

Sounds like a good brew day, should be some good brews for the warmer weather :chug: How do you go temp control wise?

I'm based in melbourne's south east, got a week of nothing over 18 on the forecast ahead. Fermenters Currently just sitting in my spare room at the back of the house with the door closed and metal roller shutters down. Manages to keep the temp under 20 easily, with immersion heaters set at 18 if needed. This will probably be my last ale before summer, which I'll then try my hand at some saison. That is until I get a fermenter fridge going.

Only got into brewing February this year and my first couple of batches were standard k & k which turned out very meh. So this is batch 13 & 14, done a couple of extract brews now as well. Really enjoying the variety.

Must say I'm kinda jealous of you then, as up in Brisbane we've had mostly 27-31 degrees days so winter has ambient brewing weather has certainly passed; well except for my saison (3274) which has been loving the hot weather and is tasting amazing so far! Definitely recommend it for a saison if you can keep up the 27+ temp.

You're probably similar stage to me then mate, I myself only started back in January although had a bit of exposure thanks to my dad brewing kits for pass few years. Hopefully next batch will be my first all-grain BIAB to get it all sorted.

Don't think I'll struggle with keeping the heat up, provided I'm using the immersion heaters. Will be nice to try a different style, us-05 has been my go to with a variety of different hops and malt extracts.

I'm interested in trying my hand at a biab, but cooling it will be my issue. Already got a 19litre pot a bag for it. Won't be happening til next winter

Just did hydro test and both fermenters are still bubbling away with a reading of 1020. Sample tasted great. Planning to bottle in two weeks and will dry hop 5days from bottling.

Back