Cascade Cans @ Coles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murcluf

The Mystical Meerkat
Reaction score
Went into my local Coles tonight and spotted discontinued line stickers on their Cascade range of Cans. Obviously Coles aren't making enough off of them or Cascade are not paying enough for shelf space as they are now on the bottom shelf.

Possibly the only kit beer I ever made that I found UTTERLY undrinkable...

Coles is stupid in its deletion policy (a few years back they decided to halve the number of products they stock)- they recently started deleting all 1.25L Coke varieties. Coke is trying to talk them out of it.

If you dig around you'll find numerous posts about the Cascade kits being a tad unreliable, particularly on the yeast front.

The main offender has been the infamous 'Cascade Spicy Ghost'. If you get one watch your temperature control - their yeast doesn't take off the way a coopers can kit does and sometimes you have to be patient with them. Some posts have suggested they stuffed earlier batches of yeast with these kits (supposedly now fixed) or substituted lager yeast instead of ale yeast - all unconfirmed rumour though. Some posts have reported sulphur smells while brewing some Cascade kits- that would be consistent with a lager yeast. Lager yeasts brewed at high temps can really arse up your brew. Some posts have even suggested using the goo, getting a new yeast and throwing out the Cascade yeast as it is so dodgy.

Whatever the truth is, the out-take really is that the cascade range (particularly the more unusual varieties) have been difficult to brew for your average supermarket brewing newbie. Maybe the supermarkets have been the wrong place for them to be distributed in the first place. Shame as had I personally had some good results with Cascade Pale - but not the Spicy Ghost.

Hopper.

they recently started deleting all 1.25L Coke varieties. Coke is trying to talk them out of it.

Good. There's no point to 1.25L Cokes. They're always much more expensive per litre than 2L bottles. Even on special the price still sucks. Of course Coke are trying to talk them out of it, bigger profit margin.

Actually, the bigger price margin is on the 1.5L- though the store itself makes bugger all profit on Coke.

Went into my local Coles tonight and spotted discontinued line stickers on their Cascade range of Cans. Obviously Coles aren't making enough off of them or Cascade are not paying enough for shelf space as they are now on the bottom shelf.
Just been to Coles Kin Kora (Gladstone) this morning and noticed the same here too.

Cheers,
Jake

Heard on the radio late last year that Coles will be reducing its product range by 30% and increasing its own brand ny 50%,

I guess they have done there calculations and more importantly where their control lies.

BB

Anyone had any experiences on the Golden harvest? I just last week threw one in the fermentor.

Didn't use kit yeast though. Us-05.

I did the Golden harvest, with kit yeast......

Took 3-4 days to really take off, then another 12 in primary, bottled, waited, tasted, waited some more, tasted.....

It failed, I ended up saving it for after I'd already had half a skin full of something tastier...

Although, with a different yeast, yours could be quite tasty.

Heard on the radio late last year that Coles will be reducing its product range by 30% and increasing its own brand ny 50%,

I guess they have done there calculations and more importantly where their control lies.

BB

YAY! The supermarkets making more purchasing decisions for me. Shopping is going to be so easy now! YAY!

I dont mind drinking real Cascade when Im in the home of the Tasmaniacs, but the cascade home brew was awful.

I don't know what it is about cascade kits but I can 'taste the cascade kits' a mile away.

Crap I'm afraid. Dear I say I made a Home Brand draught for a guzzler at chrissi time for visitors/stock control with hops additions and that was a lot better than cascade IA or Spicy Ghost.

Anyone had any experiences on the Golden harvest? I just last week threw one in the fermentor.

Didn't use kit yeast though. Us-05.

Thats what worked for me. Possibly one of the better brews I've made, although I adulterated it a fair bit.

Kit 1.7kg
1500g amber liquid malt
150g choc-malted specialty grains
20g Saaz @ 15min
10g Saaz dry in secondary.

That, done at 18'C with US-05, turned out to be one of my favourite HB's to date. I'd say the kits themselves aren't great, but if you put effort it you can get something good out of them. Just don't use the kit yeast. For the love of beer.

Cheers - boingk

Just don't use the kit yeast. For the love of beer.
Funny - everyone seems to agree on this point. Yet ironically they make a big deal about their special yeast in the instructions.

Funny - everyone seems to agree on this point. Yet ironically they make a big deal about their special yeast in the instructions.
'Special' as in breakfast cooked by a 5 year old. Burned toast and crunchy eggs.

Thats what worked for me. Possibly one of the better brews I've made, although I adulterated it a fair bit.

Kit 1.7kg
1500g amber liquid malt
150g choc-malted specialty grains
20g Saaz @ 15min
10g Saaz dry in secondary.

That, done at 18'C with US-05, turned out to be one of my favourite HB's to date. I'd say the kits themselves aren't great, but if you put effort it you can get something good out of them. Just don't use the kit yeast. For the love of beer.

Cheers - boingk

Thats good to hear.

I myself did
kit 1.7
500gm ldme
700gm dex
150gm maltodex

hallertaue @ 10 minutes
saaz @ 0 minutes

Will dry hop in secondary with hallertaue (its still in primary)

Will report back how it goes :icon_cheers:

Back