Cascade Cans @ Coles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These cans are still $14+ in Sydney (well, BUrwood Coles last night anyway, I dont know if each state has uniform pricing)

These cans are still $14+ in Sydney (well, BUrwood Coles last night anyway, I dont know if each state has uniform pricing)

Have seen them as low as $11 down in the mexico (Vic) Coles stores. Never seen it as steep as $14. Normal retail here is somewhere between I've found.

Hopper.

$12.68 @ Coles on Norton St today, not that I'd buy one...

Rather spend under $11 and buy a Coopers Real Ale if I really needed to do a kit and bit.

Good. There's no point to 1.25L Cokes.

I disagree. By the time I get about 70% of the way through a 2 litre bottle it has gone flat enough that I throw the rest away.

If I buy bottles then my preference is for 1.25 litre bottles, but I typically stock up on cans of Coke Zero when they're on sale.

I tried the Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter from Coles recently, and not sure if it was me or the kit, but...
after fermenting for over 2 weeks (most of my brews are finished in 1 week, but this one was only down to 1020 after about 9 days, then down to about 1012 after 14) carbonating and leaving in the keg for about 10 days, it's pretty awful.
Admittedly I only used 1kg Dextrose and nothing else so couldn't expect miracles, but... I suspect the yeast was half dead and took the first week to get itself going.
There are some interesting smoky flavours, but it tastes like there's some unfermented malt in there, and some slightly vinegary overtones. Perhaps I didn't put in enough effort, but I won't be bothering with that kit again, as I've had much greater success with my previous efforts.

I tried the Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter from Coles recently, and not sure if it was me or the kit, but...
after fermenting for over 2 weeks (most of my brews are finished in 1 week, but this one was only down to 1020 after about 9 days, then down to about 1012 after 14) carbonating and leaving in the keg for about 10 days, it's pretty awful.

My very first brew was the Chocolate Mahogany Porter, though I added the Cellar-Plus "stout mix" which is a blend of dex, dark malt and I think has some liquorice extract in it too. It tasted great (maybe it was just the "first homebrew" effect), but they were waaaaay over carbonated, and gushed if not opened with extreme care. So I blame the yeast too. Actually, about 40 brews later I'm planning to do another one, but I'll use S04 or something, not the kit yeast. And because I'm more patient, I'm unlikely to have a gusher problem - I ususally do 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle. :)

T.

these are likely to drop in price dramatically , i stumbled across some discontinued cans years back in coles they were selling them off at around $5 each , at the time i got everything they had left about 6 cans , looking back as most were cascade cans i probably should have left them there...

Got four cans of the harvest lager and three tooheys dark ales @ $7 each on clearance from Coles Warringah Mall
a couple of weeks ago. Probably gone now.

My local coles has them as a clearance item at $14.23. Its also the normal price and when I quizzed a staff member I was told no thats a sale price and much cheaper....

They have a STACK of cascade cans in so hopefully the lack of movement helps when and if they do go on sale and I can get the porter ones.

My local Coles had all Tooheys, Wander and Cascade cans reduced to $7.69 today :D ...unfortunately I hadnt read this post before I grabbed a can of Spicy Ghost :( ...I was planning on using it as half of a toucan..maybe with a CPA which I already have, or perhaps buy another $7.69 special...any suggestions?...or is the best suggestion to throw it in the bin :blink: and buy two other cheapies for a toucan???

My local Coles had all Tooheys, Wander and Cascade cans reduced to $7.69 today :D ...unfortunately I hadnt read this post before I grabbed a can of Spicy Ghost :( ...I was planning on using it as half of a toucan..maybe with a CPA which I already have, or perhaps buy another $7.69 special...any suggestions?...or is the best suggestion to throw it in the bin :blink: and buy two other cheapies for a toucan???

Alby, based on my experience with the Porter bought from the same Coles, the yeast is probably dodgy... drop in to the home brew shop and maybe grab a Safale yeast (assuming you're brewing at ale temps?) He's just started getting the Saf yeasts in which is great...
I haven't tried a toucan yet, so can't offer any suggestions.

Cheers
st3v3

Just boil out the flavour. Should just be malt and bittering hops then. Add your own flavouring hops.

Boiling huh? will look into it!...the tooheys kits are just $6 now...grabbed one, but didnt want too many as I cant wait to put down another Morgans Blue Mtn Lager....and if I have too large a stockpile of kit goop it might never get used..or more likley will get me in the poop with the missus!

Tooheys $3.95 at Coles Labrador yesterday. Was tempted to grab one for a 'boil the crap out of' boil up.

Decided to go Coopers Blonde for a change from my Coopers APA's.

Was a couple of months from use-by-date and dusty as.

Latest posts

Back