Carlton Pure Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
Ok,

I was sitting in the club house of my local golf club (which only has the standard commercial beers :eek: ), when I get a Carlton Pure Blonde put in front of me.

Being told that it is a low carb beer as in low in carbohydrates. It is also "double hopped" and roughly 4.6%.

After tasting it, I felt I was drinking water. If it is double hopped I'd hate to think what a single hop was! Being low carb also served two purposes...
1) Low in Carbohydrates
2) Low in Carbonation

It reminded me of flat Tooheys Blue.

Even if you need to watch your intake of carbohydrates, I'd rather not drink any beer at all.

I usually have a policy of trying new beers even when I'm not expecting anything grand. I tried the new VB for example, and Boag's St. George, and Carlton Black.

This one I have never bothered trying.

Oddly enough, just let me don my flamesuit.

I found that Carlton Black wasn't too bad. Not great, but OK. :ph34r:

That said I wouldn't seek it out.

Warren -

Actually I agree with you, Warren. I was just putting it in the list of recent beers that came with low expectations.

I'd definitely rank it higher than the others I listed.

What about Empire? Now there's an interestng brew.

No flavour, no body, but this bizarre great big thick foamy head that's still there a week later.

What the hell do they put in this stuff?

That was one that I tried only when I got a bottle for free. Ick.

And they wondered why it sold so poorly.

Iam another one of those that drink every new beer when it comes out even if i know its not possible for it to be good at all.
The biggest let down this year has been st george I won't say it tasted bad or anything because it didn't really taste at all and was just a tad above the colour of water. Pure blonde was pretty much as expected and nothing worth mentioning but if its a choice between CUB draught or tooheys new i'll go for the blonde hands down.
The carlton black i was expecting to be a similar product to tooheys old which is one of my prefered swills but I was quite suprised to find it actually has a roasted malt bitterness and flavour to it, nothing special again but a reasonble product from a mega brewery.
I laugh at the old timers in the swill bottle shops when they say theres a fair range of beers...... laugh because although theres a fair range there is ussually not one beer worth drinking.
The biggest disapointments are when these type of beers come out of actuall micro breweries.......you all know the ones :excl:

Hey hey what can I do.
Jayse

OK, I feel like I should make a confession here.

About 3 years ago I was in QLD with a conference, and at a local pub I thought I should try a XXXX (don't think I'd ever had it).

I was actually amazed. It had a lot more flavour than I was expecting, and it was enjoyably malty.

I don't know if it was the 'export' version or whether the brewers just made a mistake that day, but I was stuck for words and it was certainly better than its reputation (at least here in Vic) warranted.

As for the Empire foam head, I've decided it is made from Selleys No More Big Gaps. It can be sawn or sanded quite easily.

Back