Carlsberg To Close Half Its Breweries In Europe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
My god that is a lot of breweries to close.
Can't say I've really seen a lot of Carlsberg down this end of the world.

Beers,
Doc

Danish brewer Carlsberg to close half its breweries in Europe

6:28 a.m. September 27, 2005

COPENHAGEN, Denmark Carlsberg A/S, the world's fifth-largest brewer, will close 14 of its 29 breweries in Europe as part of a plan to streamline its production on the continent, a spokesman for the Copenhagen-based group said Tuesday.
The brewery, which produces the Carlsberg and Tuborg beer brands, has not decided yet which breweries would be closed, and when, or how many jobs would be affected.

"As a group, our breweries also must become more efficient across the borders," group spokesman Jens Peter Skaarup said. "It will mean that some breweries will be closed."

In an interview with the Boersen financial newspaper published Tuesday, Carlsberg Chief Executive Nils Smedegaard Andersen singled out the production facility in Copenhagen, saying "it likely would not exist" in six years.

"We cannot say when it is going to happen for the other breweries," Skaarup said. The other breweries are located in nine European countries.

Founded in 1847, Carlsberg employs more than 31,000 people globally at 91 production sites. The company produces 74 million bottles of beer daily worldwide. Carlsberg's main markets are in Europe and Asia.

Doc said:
My god that is a lot of breweries to close.
Can't say I've really seen a lot of Carlsberg down this end of the world.

I've seen it a lot lately with a crappy 'buy a carton, get a free soccerball' deal.

Back