Carbonation Stone.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazGore

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know that you have to find the wetting pressure of your stone, as in the amount of psi needed before the carbonation stone will create it's mist of bubbles, and for every 28 inches of beer height in the tank above the stone you add 1 psi, and add this figure to the psi you are wanting.

I have searched the internet for the answer to my question and have so far came up with nothing.

The gas pressure can have it's flow reduced, with a flow metre or rotometer, but this does not affect the pressure.
I.e 15 psi pressure at 1 Ltr per minute is the same pressure as a 5 Ltr per minute flow, it's just slower.

My question is......

Does a carbonation stone reduce pressure?

As in, say my carbonation stone does not start making bubbles until it is at 2psi. So the theory is for a 13 psi beer at 2.5 volumes, I need to put 15 psi through the stone, 13 for the beer and 2 for the stone.

But if the pressure does not change with the stone, then therefore my 15 psi going into the stone is still coming out at 15 and eventually my beer will reach 15 and be over carbed.

Surely the 2psi wetting pressure just means I cannot only put 2psi beer volumes into the beer, as its not enough to crack/wet the stone with extra gas left over for the beer.

Thanks, I hope this makes sense.

Daz

Back