Carbonation Stone For Carbonating Corny Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I have a 0.5 micron aeration/carbonation stone that I was thinking of setting up for carbonating kegs.
Does anyone already do this here at AHB ? If so how long do you find it takes to carbonate an 18 litre corny keg ?

TIA,
Doc

I don't use aeration stones with my kegs, I just pressurize them for a couple days before use at like 30 psi or double the intended carbonation level, and then bleed the pressure off before serving. Of course, this is with the keg mostly full, so there is little headspace. If I put that much pressure on a half full keg, I would get all foam.

If you need to carbonate quickly, you can spend an hour or two periodically shaking the keg (rocking it) with the gas attached. This will dissolve the gas in faster. (which is what the carbonation stone is supposed to do...)

It's funny, I am so technically oriented in other areas of brewing, but carbonation level is not. Close enough is good enough for me.
John

You know Doc, i was thinkabout about trying the carbonation stone with my (useless for aerating) 0.5 stone too. But then i wondered if it was just as effective to replace the short "in" dip tube with a longer "out" dip tube. At least then the co2 is pusing it's way up through the beer, rather than trying to carbonate your way down the beer.

John - most of us here try the shake trick. I've given up on it as i couldn't get a reliable result, and just gas at 300kpa for 24 hours. But always looking for ways to make a better pour.

jgriffin said:
But then i wondered if it was just as effective to replace the short "in" dip tube with a longer "out" dip tube. At least then the co2 is pusing it's way up through the beer, rather than trying to carbonate your way down the beer.
[post="51921"][/post]​

Doc / JGriffin

I did this when I was doing soda water for SWMBO. I only used an aquarium stone and it did make a bit of difference. I don't know if I would do it for beer though, because you then have to open the keg to get it out to do the next beer. The other thing to watch is that you can liquid pushing back up your gas line.

Cheers
Pedro

jgriffin said:
John - most of us here try the shake trick. I've given up on it as i couldn't get a reliable result, and just gas at 300kpa for 24 hours. But always looking for ways to make a better pour.
[post="51921"][/post]​

Having lost one full bottle of CO2 due to leaving it on when a leak occured, it's not a practice I'll repeat. I have 5 kegs permanently on tap, but still impatient to try the latest brew - This is my method & I find it gives 99% success -

After filling the keg (upto the weld mark just below the top) with cold beer turn pressure upto 300 kpa & rock keg back & forth on its side (inlet at bottom) for 50 seconds. Turn off gas (on main bottle) but continue to rock keg while monitoring the pressure dial. You will see the pressure full back quite quickly & then stabilise (100 - 200kpa). The goal is for the pressure to fall back to between 140 - 160 kpa depending on your preference (140 pommie ale - 160 Aussie beer). If the pressure falls well below 140 kpa, just turn gas back on & rock for another 10 - 15 secs, then recheck & repeat as necessary. I find that 60 secs is nearly always about the mark. Then all you have to do is release the top pressure valve on the keg (normally a couple of hours later to avoid foam flying out of the valve), connect to your gas (making sure you have set pressure back to 80 kpa or whatever you like to dispense at) & you will pour a perfect beer. My 1% failure rate was due to forgeting to reduce the pouring pressure - beer poured at 300 kpa is not something you do twice....

P.S. If you use this method to carbonate a keg that's not full, then reduce your rocking time accordingly, otherwise you'll over carbonate even at 50 secs...

Hope this is of help to some - I know everyone has their tried & trusted methods, but many are hit & miss without experience...

jgriffin said:
You know Doc, i was thinkabout about trying the carbonation stone with my (useless for aerating) 0.5 stone too.

<snip>

[post="51921"][/post]​

Yeah, I've always done the 300kpa for 48 hours carbonation method and never had a prob.

I have the stone sitting around and was thinking about putting it to use. Usually I'm in no hurry, but this week I could have done with the a bit quicker that 48 hours (without going the shake method) which is what got me thinking down this path.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Beers,
Doc

Back