Carbonation questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BURGO817

Reaction score
Gday AHB gang,

Just want to find out why my carbonation is short lived?

My process is perfect; sterile, measured, temp etc.

When I bottle Ive been using coopers carb drops for 2nd in bottle fermentation - I’ve left them for 2-3 weeks before fridging them & when I pour to glass the head lines up perfectly BUT most of the carbonation dissipates quickly! 5 min max.

What am I doing wrong?

What size bottles, 2 drops in 750ml? 1 in 375ml bottle?
Now your getting a head on your beer which suggests carbonation. Now are you saying the “head” dissipates after 5 min or no bubbles. As these can be two seperate problems.
Now if head remains and you think carbonation has gone as no bubbles then you need to hold the glass up to a light or a torch behind as bubbles can be very very small. Another test is swirl your glass like with wine, if a head appears we are carbonated.

In addition to Grott's comments - your recipe may simply not lend well to head retention. Chuck up your recipe (or kit name if doing a kit)

I'd say those two have got this covered but an extra thought is protein. Less protein is less head, whether or not the beer is fizzy. Share your recipe and we'll see if adding a protein might help

Garf

Hold the phone....... Clean the glass properly!!

Dishwasher, then rinse with warm, then cold and left to dry.

Try that and then look at the recipe/ingredients or methods.

Ok guys.

It’s a coopers Aussie Pale kit using the beer enhancer 2. As directed.

When pouring into glass the head forms easily but completely breaks down to no head at all. Carbonation remains post head dissipating though. (Bubbles will continue to rise from the bottom)

I use 1 tab per stubbie.
Glass is spotless.

(The pic is about 30 secs after pour. Then breaks down to nothing.)

Attachments

• 046B57F8-DFD5-497D-A9DB-5429FF1180C6.jpeg
    046B57F8-DFD5-497D-A9DB-5429FF1180C6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
Ok. I’ll triple check it tomorrow.

What about the dissipation ?

Another symptom of a dirty glass. Can't comment on the kit you used, I've not used it myself, but I assume it'd have some level of head retention.

Kit is ok, but mtb could well be right about the glass. Don’t use any detergents, I use water and a dedicated brush after each drink before the glass dries. (one reason why I use big mugs ha)
With the glass/es I’d soak in hot water for 30 min, use a dedicated brush or until you get one use a clean paper towel and clean inside, rinse out and put it/them in your fridge or freezer.
Let us know how you go.

Thanks guys, will do. I’ll be reposting this arvo.

Cheers.

Hold the phone....... Clean the glass properly!!

Dishwasher, then rinse with warm, then cold and left to dry.

Try that and then look at the recipe/ingredients or methods.

Yep 2nd that!

Edit: ps Bracton line cleaner is another great glass cleaner, just soak for a bit then rinse which I usually do at the same time as my lines but if your not a kegger then all of what I just said is probably useless to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back