Carbonation Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-rex

Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently cracked open my first batch of home brew. I am not sure how carbonated my beers should be.

I have only a slight hiss when I open the bottle, and after pouring I have no head/or lacing on the glass. There are some small bubbles that are stuck to the side of the (clean) glass and a very faint effervescence but that is all. I have followed the instructions to the letter and the brew has undergone the required bottle fermenting period. I used 2 brew cellar carbonation drops per 700ml pet bottle.

The taste is bloody good it is just a little flat is all. Any information / advice would be great.

How long has it been in the bottle for? Can take aaages to carb up at this time of year.

It's winter. It's cold. Everything slows down, including carbonation.

Just give them more time. If you are getting a hiss on opening, it will improve with time.

Alternatively, move your beers into a warmer place to speed up the process.

Clean glass does help and how long has it been in the bottle and what type of beer is it

If you have a hiss when opened and some small bubbles rising most likely soap residue on the glass is the problem.

cLEANING GLASSES IS A BIT OF A ART.

Clean glass does help and how long has it been in the bottle and what type of beer is it
It has been in there for the recommended 15 days. Temp has varied between 20c to 22c. It is a 'Morgans Australian Blonde' I used the LME with 1 kg of the 'Brew cellar dex' that comes with their micro brewery kit. Finishing SG was 1005.

If you have a hiss when opened and some small bubbles rising most likely soap residue on the glass is the problem.

cLEANING GLASSES IS A BIT OF A ART.
I used the cleaning agent with the kit. The bottles were then rinsed with 'Morgans no rinse sanitise', however the glasses were not dry when I bottled them- due to the fact that the instructions in the sanitiser did not indicate that they should be. Is this some that I should do next time?

I used the cleaning agent with the kit. The bottles were then rinsed with 'Morgans no rinse sanitise', however the glasses were not dry when I bottled them- due to the fact that the instructions in the sanitiser did not indicate that they should be. Is this some that I should do next time?

The above few posts are refering to glasses, as in what you drink from, not the bottles.

15 days is not long enough
I wouldnt even open a bottle(not that i bottle anymore) for at least 6 weeks
Even then at this time of year still might be under done
Worth the wait!!

I generally find it has a sickly sweet or greenish flavour if the yeast hasn't finished its thing. The best thing I ever did was get a keg system going. It takes all the guesswork out of carbonation.

BeerinaGlass.jpg
one of these

Back