Carbonation drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a bench capper on twist tops and have never had any problems with a seal. I have read the other type of cappers don't cut the mustard on twisties. Maybe that's the problem.

To throw another style of priming into the mix, I've settled on pseudo bulk priming and am very happy with the results. Don't have to worry about racking and risks of infections or oxidation.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44202-pseudo-bulk-priming-using-a-syringe/?p=626584

tugger said:
I have tried 3 tabs and it didn't explode my bottles.
I used the 750ml pet bottles with 3 tabs of coopers instead of the recommended 2.
You were lucky. PET is safer than glass, but still dangerous.

Woolworths home brand crown seals seem to be lighter material then coopers crown seals may be better for screw tops.

PET bottles can happily hold the volume produced from three drops, as long as you're certain the FG is stable. I only ever do this in glass with champagne bottles.

That said it doesn't sound like the OP is trying to get a super spritzy berlinerweiss. If two drops is undercarbed, there's something else at play.

Coopers carb drops are quite accurately calibrated for Australian home brew PET bottles.

For example the kits they export to the UK come with pint PET bottles and with a special reduced size carb drop, because even if the pom brewers decide to use their own bottles it's 99% certain that they'll be using pint bottles such as Spitfire, whatever. So I'm with No-Tip there.

Bribie G said:
Coopers carb drops are quite accurately calibrated for Australian home brew PET bottles.

For example the kits they export to the UK come with pint PET bottles and with a special reduced size carb drop, because even if the pom brewers decide to use their own bottles it's 99% certain that they'll be using pint bottles such as Spitfire, whatever. So I'm with No-Tip there.
It would be handy if they sold pint sized drops here too!

Changed over to sugar from carbonation drops and found it to be better.

Panzerd18 is that plain cane sugar or dextrose I use to use raw sugar 20 odd years ago

I've never had a problem with the Coopers drops. Everybody to their own but whilst those are cleaning/sanitising etc for bulk priming, bottling bucket method or pseudo bulk priming method, I have dropped the taps into the bottles, filled and capped. It works out to 10 cents a longneck but in the included under a buck for a bottle, saving a few cents (using sugar and measuring method) is really not worth it for me.

If you are use pet check to make sure they seal properly.

I had a batch of lids and all beers bottled lost carbonation when the tallies were fine.
I keg mainly but bottle leftovers and comps

Of course, using 740/750 ml PETs one of the simplest methods of perfectly identical carbonation is to slip one of these per bottle. It's all I've used since day one, and they work out about a third of the price of drops. Every single one of my comp brews that I've submitted in PETs has been done with sugar cubes.

slcmorro said:
You were lucky. PET is safer than glass, but still dangerous.
yes I agree fully the only one blow up I've had was a coopers long neck and the only thing I can put it down to was maybe putting 3 drops in instead of 2 otherwise all good

Latest posts

Back