Carbonation Drops - Forgotten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgjonno

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice here.............. I brewed some lager back in September and it has been in the shed since then. As it's three months now, I decided to try it and it is as flat as a witches tit. Now, it was only the second brew I ever made and I have tried three bottles so far, from various parts of the storage box and I am thinking that maybe I forgot the carbonation drops? A stupid mistake I know, and I can't really see that I did to be honest, but is it fixable?

Can I pop some more carbonation drops in and see what it's like in a month? The beer tastes okay but is just completely flat, flat lager isn't really something I can bring myself to drink.

Any advice would be very much welcomed.

(I searched the site for an answer but couldn't find one).

Cheers,
Jonno.

Looking for a bit of advice here.............. I brewed some lager back in September and it has been in the shed since then. As it's three months now, I decided to try it and it is as flat as a witches tit. Now, it was only the second brew I ever made and I have tried three bottles so far, from various parts of the storage box and I am thinking that maybe I forgot the carbonation drops? A stupid mistake I know, and I can't really see that I did to be honest, but is it fixable?

Can I pop some more carbonation drops in and see what it's like in a month? The beer tastes okay but is just completely flat, flat lager isn't really something I can bring myself to drink.

Cheers,
Jonno.

Not an expert on this but I reckon give it a crack mate. For the price of a pkt of drops you could save chucking the whole lot out.

Yes, i just hope you did not pull out the only 3 flat bottles in the batch!

Cheers,
Jonno.

I've done this before with no issues at all. I added a little less sugar than recommended though, just to be on the safe side. Beer turned out great. It was after this i moved to bulk priming, much more accurate and really easy.

Good luck

JD

Is it actually flat or just looks that way?

A lot of kit beers look that way in a glass - no head, no lacing etc.

Take a mouthful and keep it on your tongue for 10 seconds. If it starts pricking your tongue you know its carbonated and may have to look at ways of improving your beers.

Yes you can prime them. If PET bottles you can squeeze them to see fit they are carbed. If glass listen for the release of pressure. this will tell you if they are carbed up or not.

Cheers.

Thanks all for the advice.
Rowy - You're right, for the price of a packet, what's to lose?
J Grimmer - Thanks, I'll ope them one by one obviously to see. If not flat, in the fridge and down the hatch they go, after three months they should be alright.
JDW81 - I have plans to move onwards and upwards but for now, time dictates what I can and can't do. But at least I'm doing something (kits), getting those techniques right and reading up on the rest. the rest as they say, will come when it's ready to.
pcmfisher - looks flat, pours flat, tastes flat, stays flat in the glass, tastes flat still. All my brews since have been fine so I'm on the right track as far as technique and attention to detail are concerned.
roverfj - all in PET bottles but might give your method a go, cheers.

All - cheers all, very valuable advice, and the reason I constantly read this forum.

Many thanks,
Jonno.

What about the glasses your pouring into? I'm by no means an expert, I thought there was something wrong with my first batch, nice pop when opened but flat when in the glass. Turned out it was the glasses themselves (dont wash with detergent, i find a hot wash in a dishwasher without and detergent works) and the fact that i have a mustache, the oils from the hair kill the head

Back