Carbonation drops and exploding lids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronza

Reaction score
Hi everyone. absolute newbie here..

I have brewed my first beer, a low carb lager from a kit purchased from a home brew supplier / creator, brewed at 12 degrees. I added a carbonation drop to each 355ml stubbie when i bottled them. Opened the first yesterday after letting them sit for two and a half weeks. The carbonation was inconsistent to say the least. some frothed like mad (see pic..), some hardly at all but still fizzy to taste. all were very fizzy when drinking directly from the stubbie. is this normal for the method I used? Or is there something else I could be doing to change the behaviour to something more consistent?

I also learned what happens when you may have put two carb drops in a bottle instead of one when bottling. suffice to say i lost some skin on my face and left a dint in the ceiling from the lid lol

Cheers,

Ronza

Attachments

• IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 140
Frothy bottles can be caused by a sanitation issue. You can end up with bacteria or wild yeast in the bottle that will ferment some of the more complex sugars that your brewers yeast couldn't leading to over carbonation.

Are you sanitising the bottles with starsan prior to bottling?

Some people prefer to bulk prime there brew before bottling as it can help with getting consistent carbonation.

thanks very much Lionman for your feedback. I cleaned with oxy clean last time but i'm noticing a little bit of mould under some of the lids. perhaps my mix of cleaning agent wasnt strong enough? happy to look at starsan if thats better. I also didnt remove labels and am wondering if that was a way of harboring unwanted bacteria.. I'm bottling my next batch in a couple of days and will double check the cleaning as i go..

I had thought about bulk priming, is there a danger of stirring up sediment when mixing it in?

Again thanks for your feedback, much appreciated

How long did you ferment for? At 12 I wouldn't bottle anything under 2 weeks in primary, more like 3. If you didn't reach fg you're overcarbed

Bulk priming is a better way to go, no stirring up sediment, you syphon to a secind bucket to remove trub before mixing

thanks very much Lionman for your feedback. I cleaned with oxy clean last time but i'm noticing a little bit of mould under some of the lids. perhaps my mix of cleaning agent wasnt strong enough? happy to look at starsan if thats better. I also didnt remove labels and am wondering if that was a way of harboring unwanted bacteria.. I'm bottling my next batch in a couple of days and will double check the cleaning as i go..

I had thought about bulk priming, is there a danger of stirring up sediment when mixing it in?

Again thanks for your feedback, much appreciated

Get some Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). It cleans more effectively than sodium percarbonate (AKA washing soda, Oxyclean, et al). Make sure you are mixing at as per the instructions on the bottle. If it says 10 grams per litre, measure out 10 grams for every litre of water in whatever you're cleaning. Add the PBW to water and not the other way around. Same with any other cleaning/sanitising agent you are using.

Starsan is a sanitiser, not a cleaner. Its job is to kill off bacteria, mould spores, wild yeast, etc that is too small for the naked eye to see. You definitely need to sanitise all of the equipment your beer is going into - bulk priming container and all bottles. All equipment should be spotlessly clean before you use Starsan, or any other sanitiser.

If you can see crud left behind in your FV, you either haven't used hot enough water, the correct concentration of PBW, or you haven't given it enough time. Sometimes you will have to manually scrub. If you're cleaning a plastic FV rather than a glass carboy, use a Chux cloth or something similar that won't scratch the plastic. Scratches will leave wonderful hiding places for bacteria to harbour. Avoid scratches at all costs.

The only labels that should be on the equipment you are using should be on the outside. They will fall off after cleaning after general use and won't contibute any issues to your beer - they never come into contact with your beer. However, you still want to clean the outside of any vessel your beer is going into and sanitise as well. Don't take any short cuts with your cleaning and sanitising practices. If you have any lables on the inside, for some silly reason, get rid of them immdeiately and all the adhesive matter before adding any wort or beer.

If you're bulk priming, make sure the length of the hose on your syphon is long enough to allow you to make at least a couple of loops at the bottom of the vessel you're bulk priming in. Most syphons come with a hose that's too short. Don't be a tight arse - replace it with a long food grade hose. The hose I use is 3 metres long. Ensuring there are loops at the bottom of the vessel you are transfering into will minimise oxidisation as you're transfering. It will also create a nice whirlpool action that will ensure that your source of sugar will mix thoroughly through your beer and enable consistent carbonation.

The vessel you're bulk priming in should be cleaned and sanitised prior to use, so there's no sediment in there to swirl around. If you're using a hose that's too short, you'll get beer splashing around. You need to avoid this at all costs, especially if you're bulk priming a hoppy beer. It's better to use a hose that's too long (no such thing really) than use one that's too short.

I hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy some great beer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, went and bought a bottle washer yesterday, 3m of hose and a bottle tree.. I'm going to clean then clean then clean again

Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, went and bought a bottle washer yesterday, 3m of hose and a bottle tree.. I'm going to clean then clean then clean again

Cheers!
Pretty sure you're kidding, but just in case you only need to clean once. Just make sure you're thorough and using the right cleaners in the right concentration for the right amount of time (and not mixing up cleaners and sanitisers). Mould is not something you want to see anywhere near your bottling equipment let alone on your bottles or caps. That will definitely be causing you problems.

Soak the lids in starsan. Use them as you need them, leave wet if use are using Starsan or a no rinse sterilizer

I don't bother with fancy (expensive) cleaners and sanitizers, just good old boiling water and I have not had an infection ever. Make sure the bottles are clean (always rinse them after drinking don't let them sit and go mouldy) I line 6 or so bottles up then tip in a bit of water from the kettle and swish it out, then do that one more time then you've got a nice sanitized bottle, tip some in the lids too. I then put a small amount of sugar in each bottle, like 1/4 tsp, in my experience the carb drops are too big and will over carb, I only use one drop in a longneck and half of one in a stubby or measure out 1/4tsp sugar. I also like to remove labels, no chance of anything growing on the bottle then. If you rinse your bottles after drinking them and dry and store them, you'll never need to wash them with a cleaning agent or brush again, they'll be right to go for next time, rinse with boiling water then fill.

Cheers!

You need to clean and sanitise. Its a two step process.

Cleaners will remove the bulk of the solid from surface, a sanitiser will kill any microorganisms still lurking.

I take it you are using PET bottles. If so don't use boiling water. PET does not like boiling water and they will deform if exposed to it. A wash with an oxygen based cleaner, a thorough rinse, and then a spray with a no-rinse sanitiser is the easiest way to go. Its really not that expensive. It probably cost more in energy to boil water than to just use a no-rinse acid based sanitiser like starsan or stellarsan. A $10 500ml bottle will last you many years.

Back