Carbonation At Lower Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had 30 bottles from my first brew sitting at around 15-18 degrees in my brew room for the past 2 weeks, the beer has become really clear with small amounts of sediment on the bottom of the bottles. They are rock hard and I will be opening and sampling my first one in about 3 hours :D

What I seem to see all over the net is that you should let them carb for 3 weeks at 20 degrees. Is it going to be a problem that I have left them to sit at 15-18?

Cheers,
Echo

Hi All,

I have had 30 bottles from my first brew sitting at around 15-18 degrees in my brew room for the past 2 weeks, the beer has become really clear with small amounts of sediment on the bottom of the bottles. They are rock hard and I will be opening and sampling my first one in about 3 hours :D

What I seem to see all over the net is that you should let them carb for 3 weeks at 20 degrees. Is it going to be a problem that I have left them to sit at 15-18?

Cheers,
Echo

Post back in 3 hours and you tell us ;)

I was going to do that :)

Just curious as to what opinions, information or experience people have on the topic.

Well if your bottles are hard then it has carbed up no problem crack one and see how it tastes.

Up here in the tropics bottles carb up in a week with temperatures in the high twenties. I would be more than happy to have storage at 15-18C

I am cold conditioning an ale at the moment in the wine fridge with ice bottles and it still is on 16.

Hi All,

Cheers,
Echo

I have read in the John Palmer book --- how to brew

when you bottle your brew in glass bottles

Fill a clean , sanitised 250 ml clear coke plastic bottle to the shoulder and squeeze the bottle until it is full to the top and screw the top on hard

when the carbonation starts the level will drop , you see some effervescence , and the bottle will go hard

then ready to drink , from a carbonation point of view

better to leave for about 6 weeks minimum or about 3 months to mature

Well opened one up to try and it was perfectly carbed.

Tasted pretty damn good to!

Guess you don't really have to leave your brews above 20 degrees to carb up... I find that interesting. Bottled my next lot in glass last night too. Wish I had seen your coke bottle trick before I did as alot harder to notice the effects of carbonation in glass.

Now I can finally, RDWAHHB :kooi:

Back