Carbonation And Dry Hopping Correlation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
My fourth biab is an American Steam Beer and after 4 days in the bottle is showing no signs of life. I know that's early but my last three had a decent amount of carbonation after 4-5 days. The only difference is I dry hopped the first 3 but not this one.
Now I know this is probably very unlikely but is there in some way a correlation between dry hopping and carbonation?
Does the extra hops some how cause the yeast to munch on the sugars quicker or something?

Failing that I can't see any other reason why this ASB hasn't started showing some signs of life by now.

I was hoping it might be ready to at least sample by boxing day.

I can think of plenty.

Different yeast.
Stressed yeast.
less yeast in the bottles.
yeast was older so not as viable.
the temp may be cooler.
its only 4 days.

there are plenty more reasons. I would not worry, if it was 4 weeks and no sign of carbonation I would say to you that you may have a problem even then id say wait for 6-8 weeks. Sounds like you want a bottled beer to be ready in the same time a kegged beer would be and TBH its not possible they are about 6-8 weeks apart from each other

Stored at ambient under the stairs which at the moment is around 18-20. If anything this lot is stored warmer than my last 3 brews cuz its warmer now in Melbourne.

I can think of plenty.

Different yeast.
Stressed yeast.
less yeast in the bottles.
yeast was older so not as viable.
the temp may be cooler.
its only 4 days.

there are plenty more reasons. I would not worry, if it was 4 weeks and no sign of carbonation I would say to you that you may have a problem even then id say wait for 6-8 weeks. Sounds like you want a bottled beer to be ready in the same time a kegged beer would be and TBH its not possible they are about 6-8 weeks apart from each other
If that's the case so be it. Just curious that's all because all my other brews showed signs of life after four days.

Yeah, 4 days is pretty early. I'm a little surprised that your other batches were carbed after this short amount of time, wait another 10 days then open one. I normally only open one after 10 days if I'm really low on stock, it doesn't happen very often. Try to hold out a little longer if you can.

If you wanna have carbed beer in four days then yes, only option!

yeah start worrying after 4 weeks, leave them alone a bit

If I could bottle and have carbed in 4 days... Well, I would still keg! :p :lol:

On a serious note, Truman, Its like asking your SG to be done, as in, come on fermenter surely we can bottle now!

Cant push the yeast around... they are our main friend in this beer making thing...

2c.

Can't wait to hear all about your 5th BIAB... i'm on the edge of my seat here...

NewThreadCatButton2.gif

i tried to follow the way this thread is going and searched google for a witty gif to place here, but i couldn't find one of someone simultaneously beating their head against a wall whilst stabbing their eyes out and punching themselves in the cock

should i start a new thread asking the best wall material and stabbing implement to use? obviously i have a fair grasp on the damage my fist can do to cock

i don't know what that means because i've been drinking since 11:30, but...4 DAYS!!! srsly!? just wait two weeks, true man!

i tried to follow the way this thread is going and searched google for a witty gif to place here, but i couldn't find one of someone simultaneously beating their head against a wall whilst stabbing their eyes out and punching themselves in the cock

should i start a new thread asking the best wall material and stabbing implement to use? obviously i have a fair grasp on the damage my fist can do to cock

i don't know what that means because i've been drinking since 11:30, but...4 DAYS!!! srsly!? just wait two weeks, true man!
Just to clarify my original post. I know the beer wouldnt be ready after 4 days and I'm not expecting it to be. As I said my other 3 Brew's had SOME carbonation after 4 days and seemed to be coming along nicely.
The other3 were dry hopped this one wasn't. Other than that the conditions were the same.
I simply asked if there was any reason such as dry hopping That can cause the yeast to be more active etc. As I also said I didnt think there was but hey if you don't ask you don't know.
I was just stating that this brew seems to be slower off the mark than others I've done, that was all.

I've dry hopped quite a few beers and I've never noticed a difference in carbonation time with dry hopped or not dry hopped beers. It's more likely to be the yeast you're using as has been mentioned. What yeast did you use?

I've dry hopped quite a few beers and I've never noticed a difference in carbonation time with dry hopped or not dry hopped beers. It's more likely to be the yeast you're using as has been mentioned. What yeast did you use?

It was US05. I used the same in my first brew which had some carbonation after 4-5 days but used a wyeast smack pack for the second two brews.

Thanks mate for the informative reply.

Yeah, 4 days is pretty early. I'm a little surprised that your other batches were carbed after this short amount of time
Perhaps this one has actually finished primary?

I haven't used us05 a whole lot but I have used Wyeast 1056 a number of times, I believe these two yeasts are very similar if not the same just one dry one liquid. Not very high floccing yeasts so I'm sure it'll be in there chewing on the bottling sugar, just have to wait a bit longer ;)

I haven't used us05 a whole lot but I have used Wyeast 1056 a number of times, I believe these two yeasts are very similar if not the same just one dry one liquid. Not very high floccing yeasts so I'm sure it'll be in there chewing on the bottling sugar, just have to wait a bit longer ;)

Cheers mate..Thanks.

Latest posts

Back