Carbonating My Bottled Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
just wondering how you guys go about carbonating your pilsners and lagers,i have made a pilsner with w 34/70 yeast,i am wondering if it needs to be kept around the 20 deg to carbonate it and then put into fridge to cc for a while,at the moment it is in a spare room which doesnt get any heating and its only about 12 deg.i realise that this is around the fermenting temp or even slightly higher
cheers
fergi

fergi,

it is not quite clear what stage you are at.

the normal (round about process- times will varry) process for a lager is

2 week ferment
3+ week lagering
Bottle or Keg

Once you bottle if you just keep in a dark place for a few weeks it will carbonate, don't worry to much about the temp. Obviously stinking hot is no good.

The chill and drink. You don't CC once it is in the bottle.

thanks for the reply cubbie,i have bottled it already,fermented for 2 weeks and secondry for two weeks,with a rest for 3 days at 20 deg after primary.i was only wondering how others carbonate their bottles up,either by leaving them in cold room around 12 deg or bump up the temp about to speed carbonation up.
cheers
fergi

12 or 20 is fine. so long as they are not keep in direct light. I wouldn't think you would notice a difference in the beer carbonated at 12 or 20 (perhaps you will get smaller boubles at a cooler temp).

Why don't you test it out.

I carbonate mine in the shed and during summer it gets to over 40 in there. All the bottles however create their own micro climate and keep the temp down. I aim for about 20-25c which is prob the best I can do. No prob yet.

Back