carbonating cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here just joined up and just had a question about a cider im about to bottle.
Half of my bottles are 750Ml bottles which i am just going to be using the standard 2 carbonation drops per bottle, but some of them are 500Ml bottles and i was just wondering if anyone has had experience with carbonating these size bottles and just wondering if maybe i shoule just use 1 drop in the bottle to be safe as this is my first batch i just really dont want any explosions.

thanks

Hi and welcome,

Good idea to always play it safe. I don't use carb drops but have seen and heard that one should be plenty for a 500ml bottle.

If you are really worried about under carbing it you could try adding a small amount of sugar as well, but that is like playing with fire.

It's not the end of the world if its a bit flat, you can always tell people you deliberately made it still ;)

Thanks for the fast response, i guess i might try living just a little dangerously and add just a touch of sugar and one drop and see how it goes. thanks again

good luck with it mate, but nothing worse than an exploded bottle, and 29 others sitting next to it that still need to be disposed of and could go at any minute, trust me you don't want to go there.

Or just cut some of the carb drops with a knife and use one and a half into the 500ml bottles.

Why not try bulk priming - if you've got a bottling bucket it doesn't matter what sizes your bottles are.

thanks guys i just tried 1/8th of a teaspoon extra sugar with a carbonation drop in the 500ml ones so ill see how they turn out and go from there at least with such a little extra amount it wont do any damage and leve just a tad extra carbonation

Latest posts

Back